PDA

View Full Version : oneiric default wobbley windows

cheesekiller
April 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM
so in natty wobbley windows was disabled by default.... will it be default in oneiric? I think it should be because non-wobbley windows suck and are boring! just saying wobbley windows makes it pop!

rockstarrem
April 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't want wobbly windows as default at all... I'd like the user to choose whether or not they want them, as their computer may not be able to handle such animations.

MadCow108
April 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
they serve no use besides wasting cpu cycles. And I personally think they are annoying
if you like them enable them yourself, such a useless effect has no business in defaults.

_outlawed_
April 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Eye candy is nice and all, but leave it default disabled. Let the user decide how much eye candy they want or don't want.

terry_gardener
April 29th, 2011, 07:14 PM
when i first started using ubuntu on release 7.04 i use to have all the eye candy switched on wobbly windows desktop cube etc and now i only have on what i use and functional.

so i would prefer to keeps it disabled by default also.

tsaunders
April 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM
As nice as the eye candy is, it should be up to the user to enable it.

Harry33
April 29th, 2011, 08:05 PM
+ 1

I think it is important that the default setup is a simple one.
Only this way the maximum number of different hardware is able to boot into it.
But of course for the sake of freedom of choice, a lot of alternative possibilities must also be provided.

Megaptera
April 29th, 2011, 08:13 PM
eye candy is nice and all, but leave it default disabled. Let the user decide how much eye candy they want or don't want.

+1

kyleabaker
April 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I liked wobbly windows a while back when I was tweaking for eye candy, but I've had this feature disabled for about a year now and prefer it off. Just my 2 cents, but the general opinion appears to be the same. I wouldn't expect this turned on by default any time soon.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 30th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Yes, wobbly windows should definitely be default. And, in the interest of the new "zero-config experience" effort, the only possible way to turn them off should be installing a dozen ppa packages with cryptic names and hand-editing a bunch of config files.

christoph411
April 30th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Yes, wobbly windows should definitely be default. And, in the interest of the new "zero-config experience" effort, the only possible way to turn them off should be installing a dozen ppa packages with cryptic names and hand-editing a bunch of config files.

LOL!
You, sir, just made my day! :D

wolfen69
April 30th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I vote no.

roddie
April 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I get sad when my windows don't wobble on my XP machine at work :(

PaulW2U
April 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
When I see wobbly windows I always think that something is broken. :D

Peter09
April 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
While I am not sure that wobbly windows should be default, I do like them because they give the desktop a more fluid and less wooden feel.

What is really needed is an obvious and already installed configuration utility that allows a set of options to be easily selected. Perhaps even a set of themed configurations should be available as a one-click option.

MacUntu
April 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Wobbly windows by default = me leaving Ubuntu for good. ;)

aljazek
April 30th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Oh, hell no! That's it! I am moving to [insert distro] :guitar:

teachop
April 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM
What is really needed is an obvious and already installed configuration utility
Yes.

benjamimgois
April 30th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Woobley windows are "cool" but definitly shouldn't be enabled by default in my opinion.

Idaho Dan
May 1st, 2011, 02:30 AM
Wobbly windows by default, I don't know.
But I for one actually do like the wobbly windows.
It should be a matter of choice in my thinking.

ronacc
May 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
it seems like 90% of us are against having wobbly windows , so considering recent history they will be on by default

MacUntu
May 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
90% of "us" should be less than 1% of all Ubuntu users, so consider yourself a loud minority... :)

nm_geo
May 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
90% of "us" should be less than 1% of all ubuntu users, so consider yourself a loud minority... :)

we are a bit loud huh!!?? We vote no wobbly windows by default.. :p

Magnes
May 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Turn them on if you detect the GPU is capable of handling them. It's something characteristic that makes Ubuntu interesting.

DogMatix
May 3rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
so in natty wobbley windows was disabled by default.... will it be default in oneiric? I think it should be because non-wobbley windows suck and are boring! just saying wobbley windows makes it pop!

God No! Are you insane?

bizz101
May 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
wobbley makes me drunker than I am so I vote yes

I mean no

buzzmandt
May 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
I like wobbly windows and always have it active, however most of the people i install for do not. And 2 of which are subject to getting motion sickness when wobbly windows are active and they are very against it.
I also think it might be something that would be detrimental to someone with epilepsy and similar disorders.

I say nay

CreativeReach
May 3rd, 2011, 01:53 AM
they are very easy to enable, so for those who want them enable it!
They are heavy on resources so enabling by default isn't the greatest idea.

EGamerHDK
May 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Any type of visuals should not be enabled by default. They should be quick and easy to change though. Which is not the case in Narwhal. When you install Linux, (to most new users) you expect a clean look. No crazy visuals, but like I mentioned before. There should definitely be no reason why they can't be easily enabled.

When you do enable some visual effects in Narwhal they disable unity which is very annoying. Paper-cut much?

karmila
May 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
I enable Wobbly Windows on Maverick but keep it off on Natty because it is inconsistent with desktop grid plugin.

cecilpierce
May 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Default no but I also liked the cube and its not even available now unless you edit 'unityshell.xml' Don't know why they did that.
Its easy to enable things if you want but new people might think its broke ! :confused: