PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can you use 11.04 without Unity?

garl
April 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I want to try Ubuntu 11.04. If I don't like Unity, can I uninstall it and install the version of Gnome that's on 10.10? And if so, how?

leviathan8
April 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Unity is built on the top of Gnome2, so, yes, you can choose the desktop session at the login screen.

garl
April 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Do you have that option every time you log in?

elliotn
April 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM
yep

leviathan8
April 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5207/5222344209_e4aa8e895f.jpg

This is the login screen. Clicking on the sessions menu will bring you up the available desktop environments. You want to choose Ubuntu Classic Desktop from here. Once set, it will remain the same. Have a nice day.

garl
April 28th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm still curious though, how do you uninstall a desktop environment and install a new one (like KDE for example)? Or would you keep the default and install a new one?

leviathan8
April 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM
IMO, I would keep the old desktop environment if I don't like the new one.

For KDE, use:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

For Xfce, use:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

For Lxde, use:

sudo apt-get install lxde

For Openbox, use:

sudo apt-get install openbox obconf openbox-themes

There are many, many more window managers to choose from, but these are the most common. Once installed, they will be in your login screen at sessions menu. Have fun.

garl
April 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks again! (:

dash10
April 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Glad to see this, cheers all

beew
April 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
IMO, I would keep the old desktop environment if I don't like the new one.

For KDE, use:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktopFor Xfce, use:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktopFor Lxde, use:

sudo apt-get install lxdeFor Openbox, use:

sudo apt-get install openbox obconf openbox-themesThere are many, many more window managers to choose from, but these are the most common. Once installed, they will be in your login screen at sessions menu. Have fun.

Problem with that is say, you try KDE and don't like it, when you uninstall the KDE desktop it will uninstall other (all?) KDE applications you may want to keep, even though you can install these applications separately under gnome (or any non kde desktop)

GrouchyGaijin
April 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

What is the advantage to moving to 11.04 if you don't plan on using Unity?
I've got 10.10 set up really nicely and would hate to have to retweak (is that a word?) everything.

Paqman
April 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Everyone,
What is the advantage to moving to 11.04 if you don't plan on using Unity?
I've got 10.10 set up really nicely and would hate to have to retweak (is that a word?) everything.

There's nothing stopping you from staying with Maverick if you like it. Maverick is supported until April next year, so you can keep using it till then.

Generally, the advantage of new versions is that they contain bugfixes and newer versions of the software.

GrouchyGaijin
April 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
There's nothing stopping you from staying with Maverick if you like it. Maverick is supported until April next year, so you can keep using it till then.

Generally, the advantage of new versions is that they contain bugfixes and newer versions of the software.

Thanks,

I realize that there is nothing stopping me from staying with 10.10. I was wondering what the advantage is to moving to 11.04 if you don't plan on using Unity.

Hippytaff
April 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Problem with that is say, you try KDE and don't like it, when you uninstall the KDE desktop it will uninstall other (all?) KDE applications you may want to keep, even though you can install these applications separately under gnome (or any non kde desktop)

not in my experience - usually the apps stay, but maybe I did it wrong :?

el_koraco
April 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks,

I realize that there is nothing stopping me from staying with 10.10. I was wondering what the advantage is to moving to 11.04 if you don't plan on using Unity.

Most people swear by the Natty Classic mode. It also has the "wonder patch" in the kernel that might or might not give you a performance boost. Plus, there's some new software available.

Paqman
April 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
It also has the "wonder patch" in the kernel that might or might not give you a performance boost.

You're highly unlikely to see any extra performance at all from this patch unless you do a lot of uberintensive work in a terminal while multitasking. It's been hugely overhyped.

Hippytaff
April 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Most people swear by the Natty Classic mode. It also has the "wonder patch" in the kernel that might or might not give you a performance boost. Plus, there's some new software available.

hype on a grand scale

GrouchyGaijin
April 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
hype on a grand scale

That is what I thought as well.

leviathan8
April 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Taking the case of KDE, if you remove the kubuntu-desktop, only the kdm and some other core KDE programs will be removed. All the applications will be kept, and yes, you can remove them from Gnome.
Deleting the package kdebase-runtime will remove EVERY application installed belonging to kde. So if you plan to remove kde applications, but if there are some of them you actually like and want to use under Gnome, first make a list of them, then delete the runtime package and install again separately your favorite programs.
Have a nice day.