PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Attaching external equipment broke the keyboard & touchpad

Throne777
April 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
My girlfriend has a Samsung NC20 laptop/netbook(/whatever), running Ubuntu 10.10. When she attached a Dell monitor her laptop touchpad stopped working.
She's also found that attaching an external keyboard (a Dell rt7d50) has screwed with her laptop keyboard (doesn't register most of the keys at all, & some of the keys that did work weren't right -pressing 'y' gave '4' for example).

However, on the login screen, the keyboard & touchpad both work fine. It's only when she logs in they mess up (rebooting, with & without the external attachments, hasn't fixed the issue). She also said there was a dialogue box that popped up on a shutdown that mentioned 'close all programs' & the touchpad worked for that bit.

I know some of this is a bit hazy, but she's not here at the moment & is telling me about this in short emails :s

Oh & she says she's checked the keyboard preferences, etc & nothing seems obviously weird/wrong.

Thoughts?

Throne777
April 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I've been trawling through old forum posts & I've noticed that not a single thread reporting that kind of issue has had the problem fixed. Either people report similar issues or the thread doesn't get a reply.

Is keyboard support an issue that has cropped up for years but never been properly addressed or something?

As the new Ubuntu comes out officially in 3 days, I was thinking of just upgrading her laptop to fix the issue, but this does seem like using a neutron bomb to crack a nut.

KegHead
April 25th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hi!

Some basic stuff:

unplug and replug.

goto;

system.preferences..keyboard & mouse.

Throne777
April 26th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Hi!

Some basic stuff:

unplug and replug.

goto;

system.preferences..keyboard & mouse.

As I pointed out in the original post, all of that has already been tried.