PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Best 13" laptop for Ubuntu (least troubles)?

Kurtosis
April 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM
Hi all, I'm in the market for a 13" laptop to install Linux on as the primary OS. I'd like to configure it with 8GB RAM or more since I'm a heavy virtual machine user, but my requirements are flexible otherwise.

I'll use it for web and Android development primarily, no gaming. Anyone using a 13" with Linux they really love and have no problems with?

Rasa1111
April 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM
I would suggest a ThinkPad if you can afford it.
Mine is almost 13" (little over 12"), and it is the most perfect Ubuntu install Ive had! All have been pretty close to perfect..
But every install I do on a ThinkPad, Everything works perfectly (
except the "track-scroll", which is easily enabled).

My main laptop is a ThinkPad Z61t~ (appx. 5 years old)
and Ive never had an easier time having everything "just work" without needing to use any additional drivers whatsoever. (and this laptop smokes just about all others I come into contact with, even new ones!)

It's like these ThinkPads are meant for Linux!
Oh wait.. they kinda are... lol :P

Good luck! :)

jawilljr
April 21st, 2011, 04:48 AM
You didn't mention a price range. But if the main choice is "least troubles" then I would go with System76 Lemur (http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=106). That way your guaranteed everything will work. An extra benefit is that they support Ubuntu/Linux.

Jerry

Kurtosis
April 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
I would suggest a ThinkPad if you can afford it.
Mine is almost 13" (little over 12"), and it is the most perfect Ubuntu install Ive had! All have been pretty close to perfect..
But every install I do on a ThinkPad, Everything works perfectly (
except the "track-scroll", which is easily enabled).
Thanks, the X and T series look good, except they both use either Intel HD 3000 or Nvidia Optimus, both of which Linux has trouble with right now.

My understanding is that only the recent Sandy Bridge cpu's can support more than 4GB RAM, or are there older used models with >4GB I should be searching for?

Kurtosis
April 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
You didn't mention a price range. But if the main choice is "least troubles" then I would go with System76 Lemur (http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=106). That way your guaranteed everything will work. An extra benefit is that they support Ubuntu/Linux.

Jerry

Of course, totally forgot to check the Linux system builders, thanks!