PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samsung R60 plus - ATI Radeon Xpress 1250

Tenshar
April 20th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hello, my name is Jonathan Singer,
I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux itself, so far, I have to say I'm impressed by the freedom and stability it gives you compared to Windows Vista, the only problem I'm having is finding the appropriate driver for my graphics card (ATI Radeon Xpress 1250), I am aware that the proprietary driver is no longer supported since February 2009, I know that there are dozens of threads like this already on these forums, although most of them are quiet old and contain dead links or outdated information which have not worked for me, I've been looking around for about 1-2 weeks, which is when I first installed Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition, I have just re-installed the same version of Ubuntu and fully updated, I have installed no extra software since then.

From what I read, Ubuntu comes with the open source ATI drivers, the only trouble I'm getting is the graphics distortion in 3D games, for example, in Neverwinter Nights (Role Playing Game), the server selection menu and the in-game menu is always flickering, making it very hard to see, and the in-game colours are also flickering between mostly white and the colours that it's actually supposed to show, but the speed and frame-rate is normal.

Another game I've tried is AssaultCube (First Person Shooter), downloaded from the Software Center, it runs at a good speed, colours are normal too, but the weapons, walls, etc, are flickering between visible and invisible, which is very annoying as it is very hard to see anything that way.

If any more information is needed, just leave a reply, if you know what is causing this or have the solution, please let me know, I'm desperate to get this working as I really don't want to go back to Windows.
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

jquis8411
April 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I have an ATI video card in one of my computers running 10.10 and I was not thrilled with the ATI drivers performance so I uninstalled it and never missed it. I don't play games but I get 3D acceleration right out of the box without any third party drivers.

Tenshar
April 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have an ATI video card in one of my computers running 10.10 and I was not thrilled with the ATI drivers performance so I uninstalled it and never missed it. I don't play games but I get 3D acceleration right out of the box without any third party drivers.
What card does that computer have? the proprietary drivers work with newer cards I think.

FatRakoon
October 9th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I too have a Samsung R60

I have failed totally to get 3D workign under Linux.

Its got a Mobility X1250 graphics chip.

The irritating thing is that the catalysts are all in, but it just wont accept that I have any ATI devices at all?

Its not that I cannot install the proper catalysts either because I can. I have done it on the desktop with X1800XT and a 3540 too, they both work, and whats even more irritating is that Mandriva 2010 Gnome runs just fine and I get to chose Compiz, Metisse or standard no 3D Effects and it gives it a full eye-candy desktop as you would expect and yes ,this is then setup as an ATI Radeon Mobility x1250, so why can I not do it under Ubuntu, mint, or debian?

Is there a set sure-fire way to get this thing setup with an ATI driver properly.

Id like to know.

Redblade20XX
October 9th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I too have a Samsung R60

I have failed totally to get 3D workign under Linux.

Its got a Mobility X1250 graphics chip.

The irritating thing is that the catalysts are all in, but it just wont accept that I have any ATI devices at all?

Its not that I cannot install the proper catalysts either because I can. I have done it on the desktop with X1800XT and a 3540 too, they both work, and whats even more irritating is that Mandriva 2010 Gnome runs just fine and I get to chose Compiz, Metisse or standard no 3D Effects and it gives it a full eye-candy desktop as you would expect and yes ,this is then setup as an ATI Radeon Mobility x1250, so why can I not do it under Ubuntu, mint, or debian?

Is there a set sure-fire way to get this thing setup with an ATI driver properly.

Id like to know.

Take a look at this for use of the open source driver:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

If you want the proprietary drivers, take a look at this:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Natty_Installation_Guide

Hopefully this helps!!! :)

-Red