PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing Ubuntu Linux 11.4 Beta 2 onto a lenovo R61i laptop

FUNnLIFE
April 19th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I know about different linux os systems and now am going to Ubuntu but not sure if I am downloading the right version of this os system. Please advise which web site to get this os and which one to download. I am running fedora now and want a complete os to put on this laptop. Thank you for your help

wolfen69
April 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Here is a list of daily builds http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

If you want the regular 32 bit ubuntu, go here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/natty-desktop-i386.iso

Joe of loath
April 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
You might want to download 10.10, or wait until 11.04 is stable before installing. The beta version will be buggy.

quesadilla
April 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM
beta is buggy. I wouldn't load it yet, wait until the final release comes out.

I did and my video card messed up. asus and 11.04 have some issuer right now.

FUNnLIFE
April 19th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Here is a list of daily builds http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

If you want the regular 32 bit ubuntu, go here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/natty-desktop-i386.iso
how do I do either??? I am thinking of going to an older version first. thou but not sure which version is more stable, could you help. isnt there a limitation of the hardware u use but can always expand the software.....I never have worked on this laptop before or expanded it (I use to only worked on PC )

FUNnLIFE
April 19th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I have worked for serveral years on the hardware part of computers and then went on to the software part of computers then I was introducted to the linux Unix side of things and the networking. All my education was informaly taught to me. I had 11 computers talking together when I was n an accendent and now at age 50 I am starting over but things are coming back to me and am so thrirsty to catch up...lolo
So here is what I am thinking A) expand the laptop to its fullest first with as much hardware possible to fit (having to hire this part done of course) then B) put the stabled version of Ubuntu on the lab top and open everything up...Is this a plan of success....:popcorn:
Now for the real big question WHICH VERSION is stable????????????? Is it the 10.10

Joe of loath
April 20th, 2011, 12:13 AM
The most stable is 10.04. 10.10 is slightly newer, but isn't supported for as long, and 11.04 is the latest, which is going to be pretty unstable until a few weeks after release.

You won't need to upgrade the hardware, Ubuntu has very low requirements, and your laptop easily surpasses them. Just grab the 64 bit version of 10.04 and you're away!

K_45
April 20th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'd install Debian net install w/ XFCE for a lightweight OS - 150MB of RAM on boot compared to 500MB+ with Xubuntu.

Joe of loath
April 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'd install Debian net install w/ XFCE for a lightweight OS - 150MB of RAM on boot compared to 500MB+ with Xubuntu.

If you want lightweight, Lubuntu uses ~85mb of RAM at boot on my machine. However, the OP's laptop is a nearly brand new machine, so they aren't looking for lightweight :p

K_45
April 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM
If you want lightweight, Lubuntu uses ~85mb of RAM at boot on my machine. However, the OP's laptop is a nearly brand new machine, so they aren't looking for lightweight :p

Lightweight in customization too. Ubuntu does include apps you are unlikely to use. And if you build a netinstall OS without any gnome dependencies, the system does feel snappier.

ClientAlive
April 20th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I have worked for serveral years on the hardware part of computers and then went on to the software part of computers then I was introducted to the linux Unix side of things and the networking. All my education was informaly taught to me. I had 11 computers talking together when I was n an accendent and now at age 50 I am starting over but things are coming back to me and am so thrirsty to catch up...lolo
So here is what I am thinking A) expand the laptop to its fullest first with as much hardware possible to fit (having to hire this part done of course) then B) put the stabled version of Ubuntu on the lab top and open everything up...Is this a plan of success....:popcorn:
Now for the real big question WHICH VERSION is stable????????????? Is it the 10.10

You said you had an accident and were having to re-learn stuff. I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but do you mean about saving the file onto the computer and burning it as an iso image so you can install it?

Sorry if I made a mistake. I knew a person once who really really had to relearn everything. Sometimes when I hear that I think of him.

Jake

Joe of loath
April 20th, 2011, 01:48 AM

ClientAlive
April 20th, 2011, 01:51 AM

What does that mean Joe?

Joe of loath
April 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM
What does that mean Joe?

Had too many tabs open and posted in the wrong thread :p

ClientAlive
April 21st, 2011, 01:22 AM