PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitors, Compiz - Video Card?

sevenflo
April 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm building a fancy new Ubuntu box but I need some help.

Generally for work productivity, I'd like to be able to use a dual-monitor configuration with a few Compiz enhancements.

The OS I will use will be 10.04 or 10.10 (if drivers or something requires it), but I'd prefer to stick to an LTS release for now.

My price range is $150-$250.

I have no options so far and haven't even decided between AMD/ATI or nVidia yet. I have a background of two laptops on Ubuntu where my brightness controls never worked, some said it was an nVidia issue, others said no...don't really want to get into that. Just want nice compatibility.

I bought a cheap Sparkle video card (nvidia i think) for an old computer (800mhz) and every time a video opens or the screen is about to fade out - the screen blinks. Always.

Any help would be fantastic. I hope I get suggestions from configurations that are actually working in such a set up.

Lastly: I have no preference for nVidia/AMD. And a bonus would be an HDMI-out port (aside from the monitors.

The LED displays will connect through DVI, 1920x1080 (or x1200) resolution.

wolfen69
April 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I have a Nvidia GT430 that works beautifully with dual monitors in both 10.10 and 11.04. Has HDMI out also. I got it for $80 US. Personally, I would stick with Nvidia, as it seems a lot more people are having issues with ATI.

sevenflo
April 19th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks Wolfen... can I ask who makes the card? Is it EVGA for example? Just curious because someone once told me that different makes can have different linux support (don't know how true that is).

sevenflo
April 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM
bumpity bump?