PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will a supplier stated compatible SSD drive for DELL Inspiron M5010 work immediatedly

krazy_kat1010
April 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'm considering an SSD for my Dell Inspiron M5010 -- 500gb drive on that is failing (after < 6 months).

64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s - "Guaranteed-compatible with the Dell Inspiron M5010"

But is this only "Guaranteed-compatible" with Windows?

Here on crucial site: http://tinyurl.com/3qdo952

I just want a straight swap -- But I see maybe not on the "discussion" of that drive (shown below).

I also see on 't internet that maybe Linux won't deal with SSDs right away (I see problems that it can't address 'trim' command on SSD).

My drive is going down -- can somebody reassure me before I commit? -- Crucial website says compatibility with M5010 -- SATA drives are straight swap

Maybe it's not a straight swap with Ubuntu -- the guy below talks about having to change settings (BIOS) etc. If that is the case I really don't want to go there.

There is further discussion of the issue on the website 'discussion' link -- with no resolution. Although the op. doesn't say what Linux he is using.

"Hi.- I've bought C300 128Gb (0006 firmware) and connected it to SATAII port of ICH7 controller on my 975X chipset mobo. I am using linux and have tuned all the things found in faqs - aligned partitions, set ext4 fs with nessessary options (enabling trim and so on), tuned scheduler (tried both noop and deadline). I've also checked that trim works.
And my problem is that the write latency is **bleep** high. I would say a second or so in real work (i.e. i delete a one message from thunderbird mailbox - it takes about a second, when i move mailbox to ordinal sata hdd (wd black) - it takes only a moment).
I ran bonnie++ tests on ssd and hdd and it turned out that write latency on ssd drive more then 10 times higher than on hdd drive (2600ms vs 220ms). How so ?"