PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] S-Video Help

SEMPERFIDELIS
April 16th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Hey all, I was hoping to find some help with my laptop. Im running a Compaq Presario C300 laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 and Ive been searching all day trying to find a command that works to get my S-Video port working. Its the only thing i havent been able to figure out so far with Linux. A few of the commands even booted me from my account and I had to sign back in? Any help is greatly appreciated!

dandnsmith
April 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Is this, possibly, a machine with a BIOS switch to control things activated by a special keyboard sequence?
I've come across about 4 different ways in which the external output has to be enabled.

SEMPERFIDELIS
April 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'm afraid I'm not sure. I know how to access the BIOS but I don't know what I would look for. Also, know how to get my network connection icon back on the top bar? its missing for some reason and I can't connect to the internet now :-/

dandnsmith
April 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I wasn't suggesting accessing the BIOS setup - that wouldn't (unless very unusual setup) help. What you need is the manual, for description on how to effect various changes via function keys (especially keys with different coulour than main keys) - all too often it is merely hints, which have to be read carefully, and interpreted.

Replacing icons on the top bar can be done by right clicking on the bar, slecting 'add to panel', and picking one from the dialog. You may well have to select 'create custon application launcher' and then find out what has to go in the subsequent boxes (I haven't researched it, but did it once when mine disappeared).

HTH

SEMPERFIDELIS
April 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Im not sure I follow you with the special keys. I have a 6 year old basic build laptop. The only "special" commands I could think of would be the F-keys (F1-F12).

dandnsmith
April 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Typically, special keys may be implemented as Fn key together with an F key (and some PCs have specially coloured notations on the F keys).

marioangler
April 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Do you see a kinda purple FN button on the lower left hand corner of the keyboard next to the Ctrl or the dreaded windows button? (Did I just say the W word?) Do the top F1, F2, F3, etc... keys have a small purple symbol on top of them. Try FN+F8 or FN+F5. The symbol should be a rectangle with two vertical lines in each side, at least in most laptops.

I had ubuntu 10.10 and the s-video worked great from installation however, like stated in this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10695002#post10695002, and actually looking for help, on Natty 11.04 it doesnt work any more :(

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10695002#post10695002)

SEMPERFIDELIS
April 20th, 2011, 11:10 PM
So what Im gathering from this is plug in my S-Video cable and hit Fn F4?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_G6aer1pjbSk/Ta9ZgxUtGRI/AAAAAAAAAX4/bKiZX6FB6eg/s800/2011-04-20_18-04-35_875.jpg

SEMPERFIDELIS
April 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
bump

dandnsmith
April 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
I think we were waiting for you to try your possibility (Fn and F4) - don't know about others, but that pic doesn't have enough resolution for me to be assured about it.

SEMPERFIDELIS
May 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
no go on the special keys