PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Does Ubuntu support ReiserFS?

ubuntu-geek
October 11th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Yes, you can select this when you first setup Ubuntu. You will need to manually edit the paritions to select this mode.

HungSquirrel
October 17th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Does it/will it support Reiser4? Just curious.

mindwarp
October 18th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Yes, you can select this when you first setup Ubuntu. You will need to manually edit the paritions to select this mode.

What do we need to add to fstab etc?

atom
October 22nd, 2004, 02:59 AM
fstab is generated for you even if you choose reiser. :)

FLeiXiuS
October 22nd, 2004, 05:35 AM
ReiserFS is lightening fast!!

ohman
October 22nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
ReiserFS is lightening fast!!
But not good for laptops due to constant disk spin.

jdong
October 24th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Just in case some people didn't know, you can enhance performance of a reiserfs volume with options noatime and notail.

noatime prevents the fs from updating access times, and notail (err, not a rocket scientist) just makes the reiser volume faster!

As far as reiser4, I hope to see it worked on in hoary. In its current state (I use 2.6.9-cko and reiser4progs 1.0.2), I've still ran into a few random issues -- including corruption (fsck-fixable though), disappearing files (just a file, couldn't reproduce).

The repacker is seriously messed too, in direction=1, it's oops'ed on me multiple times.

neerolyte
March 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Are the Kubuntu and Ubuntu installs really that different? I can't select reiserfs on my "kubuntu 6.10 desktop i386" CD. I even already had a reiserfs partition that was empty that I simply wanted to label without formatting, nup wouldn't let me.

What do we need to add to fstab etc?

fstab is generated for you even if you choose reiser.
Sometimes you need the console way of doing things even if the GUI is awesome. E.g. I needed the fstab line because:
a) Kubuntu install DOES NOT support reiserfs by any method I can find.
b) I have been setting up a software raid array, post install. As far as I can find there is no decent GUI support for this either.

So maybe it would be a better idea to not just tell them why they don't need it but also tell them where they might look (just in case for some reason you can't see, they do need it).

Anyway rant over, here is the fstab line I used to mount a device /dev/md0 at mount point /media/ra using reiserfs:

/dev/md0 /media/ra reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 0

sugarland2k
July 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, on install with manual disk partitioning as noted. I use ReiserFS with my Kubuntu 7.04 system (160 GB HD) and it works great.

Friends do not let friends run Vista !
Billy in Sugar Land :)

JMO707
July 31st, 2007, 04:50 AM
Got a problem. I recently reinstalled Feisty, and... well, I wanted to test ReiserFS with / partition.
The problem I find is that things doesnt update. You know, Nautilus need F5, and in Firefox the bookmarks need to be "tab-re-opened".

What can it be? =S

diskotek
September 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
i'm cuirous about reiserfs...
in fact i first met with this file system when i'm trying to install "elive - gem"... but i2ll install it on my laptop and as mentioned here it's so great for laptops.. so... i'll try it little bit later :D

jonny_noog
October 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to gather a bit of information on reiserfs and I have a couple of questions:

1. I note that user ohman in this thread states that reiserfs is not good for laptops due to constant disk spin. Why is this an issue and apparently a particular issue for laptops? Will the constant spin shorten the life of the hard drive or something?

2. If one has a reiserfs partition on a disk but it does not have either the notail or noatime options set in fstab, can one just edit fstab and add these options or do you have to reformat the partition to use these options?

Thanks for your time.

glaze
October 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hello,

2. If one has a reiserfs partition on a disk but it does not have either the notail or noatime options set in fstab, can one just edit fstab and add these options or do you have to reformat the partition to use these options?

Yes, You can simply edit fstab.

Steveway
October 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
1. I note that user ohman in this thread states that reiserfs is not good for laptops due to constant disk spin. Why is this an issue and apparently a particular issue for laptops? Will the constant spin shorten the life of the hard drive or something?
It will shorten your battery-life. So it's not good for Laptops.
And as another addition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS

jonny_noog
October 3rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Ah, OK thanks for the answers.

jeremy=awesome
December 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
could someone post a quick howto set up a ReiserFS HD(not as primary) through the bash?

FlemmingJ
January 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Just in case some people didn't know, you can enhance performance of a reiserfs volume with options noatime and notail.

noatime prevents the fs from updating access times, and notail (err, not a rocket scientist) just makes the reiser volume faster!

As far as reiser4, I hope to see it worked on in hoary. In its current state (I use 2.6.9-cko and reiser4progs 1.0.2), I've still ran into a few random issues -- including corruption (fsck-fixable though), disappearing files (just a file, couldn't reproduce).

The repacker is seriously messed too, in direction=1, it's oops'ed on me multiple times.

Talking about ReiserFS:

Yesterdau I lost a reiser formatted 350G disk completely. It's neiter visible with df nor fdisk or blkid.
It has then spunned like a charme for nearly 2 years.
Any good guesses why, most welcome

regards Flemming

feistybill
February 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
1. I note that user ohman in this thread states that reiserfs is not good for laptops due to constant disk spin.

I was wondering about the same thing. I have used and benchmarked each and every linux filesystem and ReiserFS (not v4) with "noatime,nodiratime" has always been the fastest hands down. I must admit I have never noticed this "constant disk spin" issue, perhaps because of the noatime options.
So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the problem jonny_noog was talking about?