PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New graphics card, now cannot access Ubuntu

thenovelist
April 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have a 64bit Ubuntu which I cannot access since I updated my graphics card yesterday. It loads up to the boot sequence page where 4 dots light up whilst its loading. Then it goes to a black text screen to log in. It asks me for my log in details and that is it it just has $Tony (not sure about the $ sign but you get my drift). How is there away to over come this? Otherwise I shall have to reload Ubuntu and that is not a real option I want to do if poss. The graphics card is a GeForce GTX 550Ti. Looking forward to your replies

thenovelist
April 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Anyone? I am sure there is an answer and I can't find it

Hippytaff
April 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
You might need to install the driver. At the grub menu (the bit where you choose os) highlight ubunt and press e. then change 'quite splash' to 'nomodeset'. Then CTRL+X to boot. If you get to the desktop check system -> administration -> hardware drivers or additional drivers to see if you are offered a driver to install.

If you are not dual booting you have to hold down SHIFT at boot to get to the grub screen

Temüjin
April 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Support for the card was just added in a pre-release driver: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTMyNA

thenovelist
April 16th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all your help and links, but nothing worked. I shall I think have to reload and hope it supports the card?! But, I shall hang on for a while to hope that someone has a good idea to resolve it.

Thank you again

Temüjin
April 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
What version of Ubuntu are yo using? If 10.10, see: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates for latest driver.

thenovelist
April 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Yes I am using 10.10, but to load the above I have to have access to Ubuntu, so I would have to reload Ubuntu to access it I guess? :confused:

Temüjin
April 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yes I am using 10.10, but to load the above I have to have access to Ubuntu, so I would have to reload Ubuntu to access it I guess? :confused:
No, just boot to safe mode (hold shift while grub loads to get the menu) and choose recovery console with network access.
If you have an existing xorg.conf, delete it or back it up:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
Install new driver:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers

thenovelist
April 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you. It is now working and its been quite a journey getting here! All that I need to do is get FF4 working as I can't see it on the updates? Thank you