PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP ATI Laptop

mwacky
April 14th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I own an older HP Pavilion zv6000 with the ATI graphics card and a AMD Athon 64. This laptop has been running Ubuntu since Dapper. I've had mixed results, the proprietary driver worked pretty well for me from about Edgy to Hardy, then I sort of slacked off about it, but since I've been using the open source drivers everything had been generally good except Google Earth, and I'm all about Geospatial. That laptop had issue with broadcom wireless but nothing that I wasn't able to handle. The suspend mode was also funky but has been pretty good for a while now.

So my question is am I crazy or ignorant or both? But I'm looking at buying a HP with the AMD Turion II and an ATI Radeon HD 4250. I gather the issues may still exist with the graphics driver and other than the Google earth shattering problem doesn't bug me too bad, maybe I'm just not good enough to get the proprietary drivers to work right (I generally just blindly follow the howto's until it does work).

Anyway this laptop comes with 64bit win 7 and I'd hate to get to know that very well because I can't see my spinning globe in Ubuntu.

Thanks!

K_45
April 14th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Have your local computer store build a laptop for you with no OS, and install Ubuntu, and save some cash too.

Temüjin
April 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Read big red box here and see if you can figure out why you can't install proprietary drivers on Xpress 200.. http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Maverick_Installation_Guide#Installing_Prop rietary_Drivers_a.k.a._Catalyst.2Ffglrx

Anyway, the proprietary drivers work fine on the HD4250. I'm actually typing this on my HP dv6-3210 (Phenom II/ RadeonHD 4250/ Kubuntu 11.04)

mastablasta
April 14th, 2011, 07:08 AM
ATI 42xx should be ok.

In fact some HP computers with ATI and similar config come with OpenSUSE preinstalled.

mwacky
April 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM
So I bought the HP G42 with the ATI graphics. I am absolutely impressed with how well everything is working on Maverick 10.10. Graphics are great and no problems with anything.

Ubuntu is #1 and just gets better and better.

mörgæs
April 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.