PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Bash shell option extglob

kaibob
April 14th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I need to set the extglob shell option in a shell script but can't get it to work. The following shell script demonstrates the issue:

#!/bin/bash

menu () {

shopt -s extglob

while true ; do
read -p "Enter a number or (e)xit: " keypress
case "$keypress" in
+([0-9]) ) echo "$keypress" ;;
"e" ) exit ;;
* ) continue ;;
esac
done
}

export -f menu

gnome-terminal -x bash -c "menu"

When I run this shell script, I receive the following error message:

line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `('
line 10: ` +([0-9]) ) echo "$keypress" ;;

A few comments:

* The shell script works fine with regular pattern matching--[0-9]* in place of +([0-9])).

* The commands within the function work fine if I run them standalone in a shell script without a function.

* I tried adding "-O extglob" to bash but that didn't help.

The issue appears to be setting the shell option inside the function, but I don't know how to fix this, and google yielded nothing pertinent. Thanks for any help.

bashologist
April 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Edit:
I was thinking of something else I think. Here's a link to the problem I had once, but I think they're different issues.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=86397

kaibob
April 15th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the response. I agree that that the issue raised in the bug report appears different from the issue I'm experiencing.

This is actually a pretty minor problem and regular pattern matching comes close to what I need. It just rankled a bit that I couldn't get this working, and I thought I might have missed something obvious. That would appear not to be the case.

Thanks again.

Crusty Old Fart
April 16th, 2011, 04:42 PM
It doesn't work.

From the bottom of this page: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/glob

Because the extglob option changes the way certain characters are parsed, it is necessary to have a newline (not just a semicolon) between the shopt command and any subsequent commands that use extended globs. Likewise, you cannot put shopt -s extglob inside a function that uses extended globs, because the function as a whole must be parsed when it's defined; the shopt command won't take effect until the function is called, at which point it's too late. Therefore, if you use this option in a script, it's best to put it right under the shebang line, or as close as you can get it while still making your boss happy.Bummer, ain't it?

kaibob
April 17th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the information--it explains things.

I did manage to get the script working as I want using regular pattern matching. The input from the user is one or two digits, so I used:

[0-9]|[0-9][0-9] ) echo "$keypress" ;;

Thanks again.

Crusty Old Fart
April 17th, 2011, 01:09 AM
When I tried it with:

[0-9]* ) echo "$keypress" ;;
It worked with however many digits I threw at it.

Anyhow...glad you got it working.

All the best,

Crusty

kaibob
April 17th, 2011, 04:02 AM
When I tried it with:

[0-9]* ) echo "$keypress" ;;
It worked with however many digits I threw at it.

The trouble with [0-9]* is that it allows a number followed by one or more characters that are not numbers, which breaks the script. This is pretty unlikely, so I guess it's not important. Thanks again.

Crusty Old Fart
April 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM
The trouble with [0-9]* is that it allows a number followed by one or more characters that are not numbers, which breaks the script. This is pretty unlikely, so I guess it's not important. Thanks again.

Oh yeah...you're exactly right. I didn't even think about that.

You're welcome again :cool: