PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Boot hangs till 's' pressed.

Bill Tomlinson
April 14th, 2011, 12:01 AM
At one time, years ago, I had windows and two versions of ubuntu on my system.

I added a more reliable drive and use it as my Ubuntu system drive. I have eliminated windows and the older versions of Ubuntu.

Now, with 10.10 (and formerly with 10.04) my boot stops at the Ubuntu splash screen saying something like, "can not find Sdb5" and gives me the option of pressing the 's' key or doing a manual something or other.

I would like to get rid of this reference to that non-existent partition. I am sure there are funny artifacts all over my system. This does not really matter. I just want Ubuntu to boot fast and without extra key strokes.

jtarin
April 14th, 2011, 12:25 AM
How many disk do you have? What is on your primary disk? What is on your secondary disk? Where is Grub located?

JKyleOKC
April 14th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Post the content of your /etc/fstab file here so that we can see what partitions it says to mount automatically at boot time. You can open the file with a text editor, press ctrl-a to highlight all of it, then copy it to the clipboard. When replying, click the "#" icon on the toolbar of the reply dialog when you are ready to paste in the result, and then paste it (the cursor will be positioned between the code tags automatically). This will make it easily readable for us!

The odds are that this device is listed there, and simply removing it will solve your problem.

Bill Tomlinson
April 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
My drives are: a western digital black 750 gig sda

partitions: sda1 600 gig
sda5 12 gig swap
sda6 138 gig
I think this is my primary drive. I chose it because of reliablilty.

an old Seagate 320 gig sdb

sdb1

This was my old primary drive. I sometimes unplug it and use it on another machine. It is not intended to be anything but storage now.

a Seagate 1000 gig drive sdc

partitions: sdc1 770 gig

sdc5 320 gig

I don't know where grub is.

Bill Tomlinson
April 14th, 2011, 12:55 AM
[CODE][/CODE# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=5e579c5d-002d-454b-8487-e3bfbe0a0bc3 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=7ee48464-a850-404c-ac41-e364bb82ebd5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc5 /media/sdc5 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 ext4 defaults 0 0 ]
Post the content of your /etc/fstab file here so that we can see what partitions it says to mount automatically at boot time. You can open the file with a text editor, press ctrl-a to highlight all of it, then copy it to the clipboard. When replying, click the "#" icon on the toolbar of the reply dialog when you are ready to paste in the result, and then paste it (the cursor will be positioned between the code tags automatically). This will make it easily readable for us!

The odds are that this device is listed there, and simply removing it will solve your problem.

bodhi.zazen
April 14th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Open that file
gksu gedit /etc/fstab and comment out the line with sdb5, by adding a # in front.

#/dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 ext4 defaults 0 0

Comment out any other partitions you do not always use.

Make the one you sometimes use "users,noauto" in the options column.

See also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?&t=283131

JKyleOKC
April 14th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Okay, your fstab listing shows an entry for sdb5, but your earlier message shows only one partition now on sdb, so this is probably the culprit. Open /etc/fstab in a test editor, using sudo or gksudo to launch the editor with root privilege, and insert a "#" at the front of that line so that it looks like this:
# /dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 ext4 defaults 0 0 Then save the file, and you should be in good shape when you reboot. If that works, mark this thread as "solved" using the "Thread Tools" button at the top of the page...

Bill Tomlinson
April 14th, 2011, 01:05 AM
You did it. It works perfectly!!!!

Bill Tomlinson
April 14th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks, you just describe the solution that worked. Thanks to all who helped.
Open that file
gksu gedit /etc/fstab and comment out the line with sdb5, by adding a # in front.

#/dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 ext4 defaults 0 0Comment out any other partitions you do not always use.

Make the one you sometimes use "users,noauto" in the options column.

See also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?&t=283131