PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Acer Iconia

CFury
April 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Has anyone checked this notebook out yet? It's pretty slick however does not have an optical drive due to it being crammed with creamy touch-screen goodness. Anyone try to load any flavor of Linux on it yet?

KaYnemO
April 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Has anyone checked this notebook out yet? It's pretty slick however does not have an optical drive due to it being crammed with creamy touch-screen goodness. Anyone try to load any flavor of Linux on it yet?

I've tried at at the resellers still running windows. It looks good, but it acts bad - no way you'd be able to type for a long time and with any significant speed, gaming will be a pain as well. I have a premonition linux would be a pain to run on it as most of it's functionality is provided by a variety of software tools that run under the YouKnowThatOS !

lumix
April 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Yes.

I put 10.10 netbook edition last night. I simply followed the instructions for downloading and using the usb flash drive utility and installed thusly--no CD required.

It seemed to install fine for the most part, though I ran into some trouble with the network connections configuration. It seemed to partly lock up that application, so that I could only alt-f4 out of it--mouse-click input (or touch input) no longer worked anywhere...until I exited the utility.

Unfortunately, the unit went blind on me before the night was through, so I didn't get a chance to check it out some more.

Thoughts: The built-in Windows 7 O/S is significantly more than it can handle--very laggy. What little I got to try with Ubu-netbook seemed much better. Overall I think it will be a keeper once repaired or replaced.

pboof
April 26th, 2011, 07:28 PM
HI,

I bought the Acer Iconia a few weeks ago. I have to agree with previous post about OS that is provided together with it, it's a bit slow.

I installed 10.10 a few days after buying it. At first, neither the Ethernet card nor the WiFi worked but I first got the Broadcom Wireless driver from here : http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Then I got the Ethernet Atheros Ethernet to work following the following : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1677122

Unfortunately only 1 screen works ( the top one ). When I activate the bottom one, it keeps flashing. The touch screen doesn't work either, as soon as I touch the screen, then the left click of my external mouse ( Logitech USB cordless desktop ) doesn't work anymore.

I updated to 11.04 beta, it did not help.

I know very little about X Server, any help with the screens would be very appreciated.

CFury
April 29th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread, I guess I'm not subscribed. How is Linux doing with touchscreen devices? I haven't really kept up with the cutting edge stuff as the last new notebook I purchased was for my (now ex) wife. And as we all know it works great on older hardware!

I was just curious as I think it's time I buy myself a new one. My 6 year old notebook is great, but runs out of steam quickly. And the newer one I inherited from her (after my generous gift) has a faulty board which makes the optical drive useless. All in all it doesn't have to be the Iconia, but I think I'd like to have touchscreen capabilities.

Thanks again,
C

lumix
April 29th, 2011, 04:20 AM
So far I have to say it's pretty grim. The touchpad functionality is very limited. No pinch zoom, no 2-finger scroll in 11.04 (the package for it crashes), and no good soft keyboard!

I really do fear for Ubuntu in the long run if they don't get this right and soon. Linux may not be Windows, and it may not be Android either, but both have gottem much further along in this space and appear to have thought it out much more thoroughly.

realizee
June 24th, 2011, 07:24 AM
hi!

are you guys talking about the W500 or the A500? cause I would like to install ubuntu on my A500, is it possible? :)

tacklestar
June 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM
hi!

are you guys talking about the W500 or the A500? cause I would like to install ubuntu on my A500, is it possible? :)
I want do so too.

realizee
June 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1094237

there's a guide there for install of a distrubution called Backtrack 5, they say it's based on Ubuntu.

nicole drake
October 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Go to debian packages and download mtpf package. Then go to Ubuntu software store and install gmtp. My Iconia a500 work great. This to mount the tablet