PDA

View Full Version : [other] screen flicker problem (check the video)

amrit_b
April 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hi guys,

I am facing an annoying screen flicker problem... I did so many tests, still cant find the actual cause of this. All the components are in warranty.. Please help me to find the problematic component!!

Here is the problem video link:
screen flicker 1 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/22231224)
screen flicker 2 on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/22231452)

OS: Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit) -- though the same problem happened in windows7(32-bit)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 (Kingstone and corsair)
Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz black edition
mobo: ASUS - M4A785T-M
cooler master 400W PSU
500GB segate HDD
(I don't have GPU)
UPS: APC 650

I added another 500GB segate HDD last week. Total became 1TB.

I had a 2GB DDR3 kingstone RAM.
Later I added a new 2GB DDR3 corsair RAM (2 months back)..

Before I thought that corsair is the culprit.. In fact the problem is very frequent when both the RAMs are attached...

It happens only when I do processor intensive jobs.. You can see in the video, when the NetBeans parses the complete Drupal installation, the flickering occurs.

But when I remove the corsair and keep only the kingstone, the flickering frequency is very less.. Just now I did one more test. I left both the RAMs connected and removed the new HDD. Guess what, no flickering (or may be very very less.. but havent occurred yet)...

I have checked my Dell monitor by attaching with my Laptop, its perfectly okay..

I have tried all possible variations in the RAM slots, but the flickering doesn't stop :( Check the video to see what is happening exactly...

Please tell me which component should I send to the service center? Many are suggesting that I should get a new higher PSU.. Thanks in advance..

amrit_b
April 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Hi!

Any suggestion on this matter? Everybody suggested my to upgrade my PSU. And I did! I bought a new corsair VX450. The flickering has decreased a lot! but it has not vanished :(

any suggestions?

thanks