PDA

View Full Version : [other] hey guys, what do?

Twilie
April 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm new here, its nice to meet you all. I would like to ask your help as to what to do with this Dell Inspiron 5160 my friend has decided to give me. The reason why I ask is:

My main concerns are that the Wifi won't work, and the thing is supposedly as hot as a blazing inferno and the fans immediately start freaking out upon startup. The heat part I think could be fixed by installing Ubuntu which is less labor-intensive than the current OS which is Windows XP. I'm not experienced with Ubuntu at all, but my brother is so I guess he can help me learn :'D

I also did a google search on the laptop and came up with this: http://www.lieffcabraser.com/cases.php?CaseID=93
I'm not going to lie, that's a little scary. I might be able to fix the cooling issue, since Linux has fan control, just hopefully it won't be a blazing inferno anymore after the OS change... I suppose I could try to fix the fans in the BIOS menu as well.

Here are the Specs for the laptop:

Intel Mobile Pentium 4 538 / 3.2 GHz
512.0 MB RAM
AGP 4x - NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

This guy is a dinosaur. i'm just wondering if he'll preform better in Ubuntu, and your ideas of fixing the fans/heat.
Thank you <3