PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Canon MP640 Printer Working, Scanner Not

cliffhanger_mt
April 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and have been trying to get the scanner portion of my Canon MP640 All-In-One device working.

The printer portion of the device works just fine. I can also get the scanner to work, but only from within GIMP. I cannot get any scanner applications (e.g., XSane Image Scanner, Scanlite, Simple Scan, Scanner Utility) to recognize my scanner. Whenever I try to scan using any application other than GIMP I just get a "Device Not Found" error.

I have already downloaded and installed the Canon Linux drivers that are recommended for use with this device.

I also went to the XSane site to get the latest version of XSane as well as the latest backends. I checked the XSane supported hardware list and the Canon MP640 is listed as supported. I must admit that loading/installing the backends update is a bit daunting.

I have searched around the internet and have found nothing that directly addresses an issue such as this.

I should also mention that I am using the MP640 as a dedicated device connected via USB to my computer. I am not using the WiFi connection.

Please note that I am new to Ubuntu, but have some limited experience with use of the command line in the terminal window.

Anyway, as I mentioned the strange thing is I can scan, but only by using GIMP.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks!

-=Cliffhanger_MT

cliffhanger_mt
April 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
UPDATE: I upgraded Ubuntu to 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) and the problem has been solved. All scanner applications now work fine.