PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu netbook edition on HP mini 1000 sluggish - normal occurrance ?

lucky2103
April 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I just installed UNE on my new HP mini 1000 netbook (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-mini-1000/4505-3121_7-33351192.html), but I'm somewhat confused by the slow speed of the OS.

For example,every time I open nautilus file browser, I will have to wait 2-3 seconds until the files in a folder are actually shown.
While navigating within a pull-down menu in Firefox, the choice bar is slow to respond, never keeping up with the pace of the cursor.

Question: Is this normal for an Intel Atom N455 CPU or did I screw up my OS ?

I2k4
April 10th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Short answer: yes. Netbook Remix not a good version and can put you off the better ones.

I really suggest testing the versions using these excellent directions for Live USB before installing to hard drive:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Be sure to use the Persistence option on the USB installer software, best to set Persistence to half the size of your USB thumb drive. It's a little slower than running from hard drive, but no risk to valuable data and the slow USB drive is a good "acid test" for the resource economy of the version you are trying.

I envy your newer Atom chip as my system is first gen 2008. Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 ran quite well, and Lubuntu 10.10 runs lickety split, but is less user friendly.

ixtok
April 10th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I also have a HP Mini netbook and installed the desktop 10.10 on it with very good results

lucky2103
April 10th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Maybe I should do a new clean install to solve the problem with sluggish speed.

BTW, I tried the desktop version on my netbook and the system is still slow to respond, much slower than on my Intel i5 notebook.

Quick question: Do you think that raising RAM memory to 2GB would be helpful ?

idoitprone
April 10th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Maybe I should do a new clean install to solve the problem with sluggish speed.

BTW, I tried the desktop version on my netbook and the system is still slow to respond, much slower than on my Intel i5 notebook.

Quick question: Do you think that raising RAM memory to 2GB would be helpful ?

i dont think it will help much. I believe the slow down is felt through the unity interface. It is notibaly slower to use that launcher than it is to execuate it directly. When I tried it last year, open the terminal from the launcher and from the shortcut alt+ctrl+t. You will notice a second lag throught the unity interface, even for such a basic program.During the few months I used it. I literally bypass the whole unity interface and used my terminal as an application launcher, because the run shortcut was broken alt+f2. Try another interface, if this bothers you.

lucky2103
April 10th, 2011, 07:27 AM
So we have to conclude that an Intel Atom N455 netbook is in no way a replacement for a desktop or laptop system, I guess.

What about netbooks with WIN7 installed ?
Are there known performance issues as well ?

kerry_s
April 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM
try ubuntu 11.04 beta, its just better with netbook type systems

idoitprone
April 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
So we have to conclude that an Intel Atom N455 netbook is in no way a replacement for a desktop or laptop system, I guess.

What about netbooks with WIN7 installed ?
Are there known performance issues as well ?

Not really, if all you need for a computer is play games before 2005, surf the web, docs, and some stuff, then a netbook will suit your needs. Try another desktop enviroment which is a variant install of ubuntu such as xubuntu or lubuntu. If you try kde, I will not recommend ubuntu. Sorry ubuntu your kde spin was a horrible experience for me when it tried it. I will recommend something such as opensuse or arch.

If you want to use kde4 with effects enabled, you have a do a few things: blacklist blur or Lanczo filter, lower scale method for performance improvements, and have fun personalize your desktop

crispy_420
April 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I'm on my netbook right now, an Acer One, and seems to work just fine for my needs. I did bump the RAM from the stock 1GB to 2GB and it performs to my expectations. I dual book with Windows 7 Pro (not the basic Starter Edition that is stock) and that works well within reason. Just don't set your expectations to high on a netbook.

fooman
April 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
i have had 2 hp netbooks and have run an earlier release of ubuntu netbook on one (1035nr), and now 10.10 on this 1095 mini.....both have run great. i do use the classic gnome interface instead of the netbook interface.

2 gbs of ram most certainly does make a difference imo. its still an intel atom....but it is much snappier with 2gigs installed.