PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hacked

rkrider
April 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hi all, well I switched to ubuntu from windows because I got hacked and couldn't regain user authority of my PC again. Now, as I was programming my new OS, my home page suddenly changed. Yep, hacked again. Lost admin rights just like windows. I don't know what to do now. Is there a firewall available that will stop someone this good? The installed programs are really good. Corrupts the base OS and boot sequence. I would really like to use a pc again, but can't under these circumstances. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated. Anyone in the south seattle area who wants to help me catch this guy is welcome to join the party. Thanks for reading, Mike

CharlesA
April 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Did you enable "remote desktop" access?

By default Ubuntu has no open ports, so there would be no way for someone to get in unless you installed something like ssh, or the like.

What do you mean by "it corrupts the base os and boot sequence" ?

msandoy
April 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
From your post, I understand that you run a web server. Please read the sticky posts in the security section. There are a lot of good advice for securing your computer. Please make sure you have secure passwords when you set up your server.

Soul-Sing
April 9th, 2011, 07:31 PM
have secure passwords when you set up your server....

or disable passwords and use keys only.