PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop mouse freezing up

Musicmaker384
April 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hi. I dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 on my HP Pavilion dv5. About a week ago, my mouse started freezing up out of nowhere. There was no erratic mouse behavior and it didn't disappear or anything, it just quit. It wouldn't move. At the time I was running Windows. Later, I discovered that the same thing would happen while running Ubuntu. :confused:

There is no telling how long the mouse will last before it freezes. Sometimes it freezes right after boot, sometimes it will last 10 or 20 minutes. I inquired about my problem on Yahoo Answers and someone suggested I update the driver. I did, and the same problem is still happening.

Someone please help me with this problem. I am in college and I can't have this hinder my studies. Is this some sort of malicious software, or is there just something wrong with my touchpad? I try to use a USB mouse, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The fact that the same problem happens with both Operating Systems suggests that it's a hardware problem, but I just wanted to check with the Ubuntu community.

Also, I'm sorry but I'm no programmer, so if you talk about any Ubuntu/Windows technical details beyond the basics, I don't think I'll know what you're talking about. Still, any help would be appreciated.

superk696
May 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I have the same problem since yesterday (ubuntu only, 10.10, no Windows). After I unplugged the USB mouse, the built-in mouse froze. Even if I reboot, the mouse is still frozen.

If I plug in a USB mouse, no problem, it works. But the built-in mouse is frozen in the middle of the screen...

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on an Acer Aspire One, 8 GB HD, 1 GB RAM.

Thx for any help :)