PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI drivers make graphics a mess!

Linuxified
April 8th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Ach! I just built my first shiny computer that I hoping to be a Linux box. However, there seems to be one kink with it: the graphics card. Well, not really the card itself, just the ATI driver. I have a Radeon HD 5570 made by xfx. I hook it to my HDTV via HDMI cable. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 x64.

I get a nice and clear 1080 resolution using the open-source drivers that comes with Ubuntu. However, as it turns out, I can't really do Compiz on the open-source drivers, and much less do any kind of 3D gaming.

Of course, I can install the proprietary drivers from ATI with no problem. I can then have Compiz and run Amnesia at pretty decent specs. However, while the 3D and the desktop effects are nice, the desktop itself is not. With the propriety drivers, icons become blurry. The screen isn't scaled correctly without me adjusting it. Fonts are a blurry mess and I have tried everything in my power to anti-aliase them to no avail. Things look a little bit better in lower resolutions but that is because they've been blown up a bit.

So I need to find out how I can get a clear and crisp desktop with the ATI driver like I can with the open-source driver. I don't know what I should be posting on here for you to give me an accurate answer, but I will be happy to comply. I can also take screenshots of the desktop with and without the drivers if need be. Any help would be appreciate and if not...well then I guess I'll have a Windows* tower and a Linux laptop...

*I have tested Windows XP. Even lower resolutions are blurry. Waiting to get Windows 7 to see if things are better. I figured it's not my card or my monitor that's the problem though since it works fine with Linux drivers. The worst may be the drivers and my TV/monitor are not cooperating...and that would just really suck.

wolfen69
April 8th, 2011, 07:02 AM
That's why I always stick with Nvidia. I've never had a problem in windows or linux.

Linuxified
April 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM
LOL The thing was I installed XP and then installed the drivers. The drivers warned me that it wasn't compatible with XP, thus everything was still a mess. I really do hope it's not the TV that's not working with the drivers though. Anyone had that problem before?

mastablasta
April 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Check the ATI site if there is an updated driver available. If not then wait a little bit more. New Catalyst should be out soon and included in 11.04 version.

mastablasta
April 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM
That's why I always stick with Nvidia. I've never had a problem in windows or linux.

Good for you. And good thing you don't have their Optimus. If so then you would have a problem with nVidia as well (it's not linux compatible) and as i read there is no way to tell if the Optimus tech is inluded or not.

Linuxified
April 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Check the ATI site if there is an updated driver available. If not then wait a little bit more. New Catalyst should be out soon and included in 11.04 version.

I tried both the one from Ubuntu and the one from the ATI site.

Do you think I should maybe try a downgraded version of the driver?