PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hmmm what laptop should I buy?

Dr.Geekit
April 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
So for the last 6 months I've been trying to decide on a laptop to buy. I don't always need to be on the bleed edge of technology when it comes to laptops but I don't like to be so far behind that once I get the laptop the latest games at that time cannot play on it. Right now I have a pretty decent laptop however lots of problems running linux, and even more hardware problems than I'm getting into.

So here are the basic specs i'm trying to find, and I wanted to get someone's opinion on what laptop they think (or if they have one that is similar) I should get.

(I am looking to dual boot linux and windows 7, only for windows gaming)

I'd like an i7 core processor atleast 2.0 ghz
I'd like 8gig+ ram (if I can put 16 in it I will)
Laptop monitor size anything between 14-16 inch is fine
I need no less than 1 gig of video memory, and it must support shader 5.0 (and it can't be shared)
It would be nice to have a keyboard + number pad but that's not a deal breaker (same with finger print scanner its a bonus)

Pretty simple, must have the option for 16 gigs of ram, 1 gig video with 5.0 shader, and a quad core 2.0 ghz processor.

You'd think this would be easy to find.. However the hardware must be compatible with Linux, I don't want to spend 3 years configuring everything and fighting with drivers to get it working.

That's where it gets complicated. I started at system 76 but their laptops are pretty damn pricey. I mean I have an i5 core, 4 gigs of ram, 1 gig video 4.0 shader, etc..etc.. And I only spent 500 bucks on it 1 and 1/2 years ago. It has hardware problems now but that's because it got beat up by my 12 year old and now its becoming is permanent laptop (and I only had 1 year warranty on it). I'm hard pressed to spend 1,600 dollars (after I add all those features to a system 76 laptop).

So I checked out the Lenovo, and I read allot of good things about them, I got one meeting those specs for around 1,200 which is a comfortable price to get all that (and it was 1.5 gigs of video ram), however just an hour before I planned on pressing the purchase button I did a bit of research on the video card and apparently Linux+Optimus technology = NO. Read many things that said don't waste your time buying anything with optimus technology if you planon using ANY linux. There's no drivers or support. Not sure if this is still true but I will say the lenovo w-series is really nice and that's a damn shame.

So if anyones interested I'd take some ideas/advice/pointers/suggestions, what have you. I guess if I have no other choice and want to build a graphics/gaming/linux laptop and I have to go to system 76 and I have to pay 1,600 bucks, then I guess I will but that thing better be able to do my taxes without me telling it anything! lol