PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Expanding source packages is slow on Netbeans691+JDK6_23-64bits+Ubuntu10.10-64bits

Damien B.
April 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hi,

I have a fast machine (sandybridge i7+SSD) and netbeans loads fast, builds fast etc...
The project is a maven project but it's not big (50 files).
But when I expand a source package, I have to wait 3 secs on average...
I have a small graphic card (embedded Intel i915) but I dont think that's the issue as the rest of the app is fine (opening/closing windows etc...).
I have tried expanding the memory limits, improve gc, etc...
Here are my startup options (they dont make any difference with the default ones, good or bad):
netbeans_default_options="-J-client -J-Xss48m -J-Xms128m -J-XXPermSize=256m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dapple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -J-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -J-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -J-XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled"
Any idea?
Thanks,
Damien

r-senior
April 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
When you say expand, do you mean clicking in the navigator in Netbeans to see the contents of a project?

Is the project under version control?

Damien B.
April 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I mean I open a maven project, expand it, expand the sources folder, then expand any package in the sources, and I wait 2-3 seconds for each package. I also wait 1-2 seconds to close it...
The project is not under any source control.
The same setup is quick under an average windows machine (just saying that for info).
My plan is to try changing the laf to Metal (GTK is always a bit different), then running on a 32bit JDK, then installing 11.04RC1 and see if any of them make a difference, unless you or anybody else has a better idea?
Thanks,
Damien

Damien B.
April 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Indeed the problem is related to the GTK LookAndFeel...
I switched to Metal by adding "--laf Metal" in the jdk options in ./etc/netbeans.conf and the problem is solved!