PDA

View Full Version : Mint Masters Smooth Compiz

ventrical
April 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I finally downloaded MINT and I must say it was worth the time. Looks like MINT borrowed some stuff from Lucid and Fedora and made a really smooth, professional desktop shell. It's really easy on the eyes and it loads up great in a 16GB pendrive (where Maveric and Natty would not).

All the horizontal frag lines at the top and bottom of the screen are absent while using compiz under the Mint desktop.

A real smooth feat .. plus all my drivers are recognized out of the box and I am getting a full graphical experience where Lucid and Meerkat always had to be fandangled with.

Great job MINT/Ubuntu devs !!!

Dupointx
April 7th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Mint is a great distro. The main edition has been great for me when I used it. It's like Ubuntu but just awesomely configured with all the extras.

It seems like every time I do a install now I have to choose between the two.

Mint 11 is going to be a turning point for Mint I think. I heard that Clem is going to go with Gnome 3 instead of Unity. Plus they are already experimenting with a Debian base.

I'm looking forward to comparing Mint 11 and Ubuntu 11.04. I haven't tried either Gnome shell or Unity so hopefully I'll like one or the other. Worst case, I'll start using KDE again, 4 is getting better.

overdrank
April 7th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk

unknownPoster
April 7th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I'm of the opinion that Mint is Ubuntu done the right way.

Mint just hides all the nasty configuration details that most new users don't have the knowledge or need to deal with.

ventrical
April 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I was reluctant to try MINT at first as I have had some bad experiences with KDE and other desktops and Linux Distros. Yup ! MINT *is* Ubuntu done in a more succint way. I am the kind of PC err that likes to push OSes to the MAX. As of late I like experimenting with Linix distros on PenDrives. Ubuntu Lucid Lynx works really well in this area - but MINT works better! I tried installing Maveric and Natty on PenDrives but they are prone to getting their pipes busted and have performance issues. If I (personally) cannot get an Ubuntu Distro to work effectively on a pen_drive then I have to basically scrap it because it is an indicator that in may degrade in performance over time.

I am not taking anything away from Ubuntu or Fedora .. they are both exemplifications of what fine and economic programming can do in an operating system and it is obvious that MINT had borrowed a lot of the assistive techs from Maveric - ie; the zoomy windows with mouse shuffle- but MINT has a very distinctive type desktop that perhaps can be more or less referred to as a theme concept.

However .. since after updating (as I had done likewise with Maveric and Natty on my pendrive) I had a seamless and non-broken system (where the same results did not emulate over the later two distros of Ubuntu.

It may be that Natty will eventually flatten their problems with 'Unity' but in my own opinion , they will have to do a stop check and go back downstream, grab some of those more reliable tools, and filter out the floatsam and jestsam upstream which seems to be affecting Natty and Maveric on the pendrive installs.

Util then .. I'm gonna have some fun exploring MINT!!

:)

Deer Hunter
April 8th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I triple-boot XP, Ubuntu 10.04, and Mint 9 Xfce. I have to admit, I rather prefer Mint over Ubuntu, when I don't have to work in Windows (there are some things on an online course I'm doing that simply won't work in Linux). Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Ubuntu, but I find the Mint interface and layout to be a little more slick and polished; not to mention it's extremely handy to have flash work OOTB.

BTW, I would say that Mint is making Debian-based distros on more than an "experimental" basis, seeing as they have totally moved their Xfce release over to it, and Fluxbox doesn't appear under their Ubuntu-based editions any more either.

At any rate, enjoy your Mint!

wolfen69
April 8th, 2011, 01:48 AM
not to mention it's extremely handy to have flash work OOTB.

When it only takes me less than 30 seconds to install flash in ubuntu, I would hardly consider that THE reason to install mint. While I prefer ubuntu, mint makes for a great live cd.

Deer Hunter
April 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
When it only takes me less than 30 seconds to install flash in ubuntu, I would hardly consider that THE reason to install mint. While I prefer ubuntu, mint makes for a great live cd.

Point taken; and I'm certainly not complaining about having to install it on Ubuntu, either. But for a rank newbie who doesn't know, it might make a difference. And I still say that Mint has a better-looking overall theme and layout, freshly installed. Some of us don't want to have to take the time to tweak a whole bunch of things.

beew
April 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Actually flash works out of the box too in Ubuntu 11.04 if you specifyou want some propitiatory packages installed during OS installation. But what is the big deal anyway. I always let flash-aid to configure and upgrade flash anyway so I don't even install flash from the repo.

I never understand the appeal of Mint. It is just Ubuntu with some codecs intsalled and uglier (with the horrible green colour and the Mint menu. It look Windows 9X-ish)

Deer Hunter
April 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I never understand the appeal of Mint. It is just Ubuntu with some codecs intsalled and uglier (with the horrible green colour and the Mint menu. It look Windows 9X-ish)

That's fine, to each his own. There are things I like about Ubuntu, and things I like about Mint. If everybody had the same tastes in distros, there wouldn't be near the number of Linux distros that there are.