PDA

View Full Version : I hope that this sub-forum is not ruined by Mint users who should use their own forum

handy
April 6th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Tricky business this.

At this point 1/3 of all posts are from Mint users. It is easy to see the possibility where this new sub-forum gets overrun by Mint users just as the WoW users overran the Games sub-forum & basically caused a separate Wine sub-forum to be created.

I'm not a discriminatory person, but I do think that things should be equitable. I see the biggest risk that this sub-forum has of being messed up, is if many (we all think that we are only one) Mint users decide that they will get better help here as this forum has so many members.

What do you do?

[edit:] The question just occurred to me: Was this sub-forum created by the administration as somewhere to dump all of the Mint questions?

Why that question occurred is that if you look at the Mint posts you'll find many of them have been put here by mod's from other sections of the Forum. Hmm...

Philsoki
April 6th, 2011, 07:47 AM
It's the popular OS of the week. The OSTalk forums have just (re)opened. Give it time, let its personality be dictated as users see fit.

Mint is another OS just as Slackware, Gentoo, Arch and openSUSE are. Should all other OS talk stick to there forums? In that case, let's just close it altogether.

Giant Speck
April 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM
What would I do? I'd ignore the Linux Mint threads. Linux Mint users aren't going to "ruin" this subforum any more than users of other Linux distros, BSD distros, Windows, or OS X will.

Telling Linux Mint users to use their own forum for support would be like telling all the Windows users to use Windows forums for support, which defeats the purpose of this subforum being resurrected.

Give it some time. The numbers will balance themselves out.

Technoviking
April 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
While the best place for Mint users to get help is the official Mint Forums (http://forums.linuxmint.com/), where more minty eye can see and answer the questions. Mint user can post here if they feel more comfortable.

Closing thread before it gets all flamey:)

T-V