PDA

View Full Version : Fuduntu 14.9 - Oh My God, it's Awesome

Tristam Green
April 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Been using it in LiveUSB format for a while now, and I love it. I haven't taken the leap to install it yet, and have only been using it as the liveUSB.

Fast, easy-to-use, based solidly on Fedora 14, and the Jupiter Power applet is a boon for power-misers like myself.

Anyone else use Fuduntu?

Joe of loath
April 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Downloading now. Will be interested to see how the battery life stacks up compared to Arch and Kubuntu.

Rubi1200
April 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the tip :)

Just downloaded and ran it for the first time a few minutes ago.

Initial impressions:

1. booted up in seconds...wow!

2. has some really neat features

3. Ailurus...I love it already!

4. Jupiter...very nice, very handy

I will definitely be testing this some more and will report back with more comments.

KegHead
April 5th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi!

Do you have a link?

KegHead

CraigPaleo
April 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I'm downloading now to try out. Are there any plans for a KDE version?

KegHead
April 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi!

I found it.

Wow, it's a huge download..1.2 gb.

KegHead

fuduntu
April 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hi!

Do you have a link?

KegHead

Forum: http://fuduntu.org/forum
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuduntu/files/

KegHead
April 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hi!

It's worth a look.

I'll try it!

KegHead

Tristam Green
April 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
It's a huge download, but well-worth it.

sammiev
April 6th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I tried it for a few hours and see that it is rather old. Works great and picked up my equipment but it's like ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 but always nice to see other peoples great work. GL :)

KegHead
April 6th, 2011, 01:20 AM
sammiev

+1

KegHead

handy
April 6th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I recommend Fuduntu to anyone who wants to try Linux as a first timer & also to those that are looking to try a new distro.

I also really like the genuine enthusiasm & the lack of the "this is serious business" attitude that fewt manages to exude. You can't pretend that good stuff.

I know one of the people that are helping him these days & he has nothing but positive things to say about it all.

I really like it when people love their work. :D

I also expect that fewt, like the rest of us, is pretty happy to see this sub-forum resurrected again.

unknownPoster
April 6th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I tried it for a few hours and see that it is rather old. Works great and picked up my equipment but it's like ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 but always nice to see other peoples great work. GL :)

Can you explain how you feel Fuduntu is old?

A good many of our packages are inline with Mandriva Cooker and Fedora Rawhide, not sure how you could get newer than that.

We also run kernel 2.6.38.2 which is the latest stable kernel as determined by Kernel.org.

As a developer of Fuduntu, I'd like to know where you find Fuduntu old.

Thanks.

handy
April 6th, 2011, 02:13 AM
unknownPoster!

Who is that masked man? :)

fuduntu
April 6th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I recommend Fuduntu to anyone who wants to try Linux as a first timer & also to those that are looking to try a new distro.

Thank you! :D

I also really like the genuine enthusiasm & the lack of the "this is serious business" attitude that fewt manages to exude. You can't pretend that good stuff.

WAT??? Enthusiasm in my Fuduntu? Banned!

hah!

You are spot on. From it's inception, Fuduntu has been intended to be lighthearted and fun (while still being stable, and mature).

I know one of the people that are helping him these days & he has nothing but positive things to say about it all.

We have a great team, and both the team and the distribution seem to be growing at an alarming rate.

I really like it when people love their work. :D

We only have a couple of "rules" on the Fuduntu Team, if you can call them that (rules that is).

#1 - Have fun. If you aren't having fun, let me know and I'll do what I can to help fix it.

#2 - Help where you can, when you can. We have no "defined" roles. Everyone on the team has the same opportunity and level of respect.

#3 - Unless it's really simple and has no chance of impacting a user, lets discuss it.

#4 - Get the community involved. Without them, there is no Fuduntu.

Wow, that might be the first time they have been written down*.

I also expect that fewt, like the rest of us, is pretty happy to see this sub-forum resurrected again.

Indeed I am.

* Rules subject to change without much notice. Additional rules may or may not be changed also. To review the rules, visit 127.0.0.1. Please drink responsibly.

sammiev
April 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hi unknownPoster, the software like FF is out of date to say the least but I do really enjoy the setup and easy use of the OS. Openoffice is old as most people seem to be moving on to Libreoffice. The look of the OS is so much like Ubuntu that I thought I was using it. I did bookmark the web site and will be dropping by often to see what's new and I hope one day to be testing your product again! GL :)

Can you explain how you feel Fuduntu is old?

A good many of our packages are inline with Mandriva Cooker and Fedora Rawhide, not sure how you could get newer than that.

We also run kernel 2.6.38.2 which is the latest stable kernel as determined by Kernel.org.

As a developer of Fuduntu, I'd like to know where you find Fuduntu old.

Thanks.

handy
April 6th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Ah! fewt, it is truly a shame that you didn't create Arch, we would then have had so much more in common. :)

unknownPoster
April 6th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Hi unknownPoster, the software like FF is out of date to say the least but I do really enjoy the setup and easy use of the OS. Openoffice is old as most people seem to be moving on to Libreoffice. The look of the OS is so much like Ubuntu that I thought I was using it. I did bookmark the web site and will be dropping by often to see what's new and I hope one day to be testing your product again! GL :)

By who's definition is Firefox out of date?

Fedora isn't planning on including FF4 it until Fedora 16, which is 2 releases away.

Ubuntu does not have FF 4 in the standard repos, so I guess that means Ubuntu is also out of date. We currently provide the same version of FF as Ubuntu does.

The simple fact is that we include the most recent stable release of most software as possible.

The argument about Openoffice being out of date because people don't use it is invalid and subjective at best.

EDIT: I hope I don't sound terribly defensive, I'm just trying to clear up the issue.

cariboo
April 6th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Firefox 4 will be the default when Natty is released later this month, as is LibreOffice3

unknownPoster
April 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Firefox 4 will be the default when Natty is released later this month, as is LibreOffice3

Fair enough, but as far as timelines are concerned, Fuduntu 14 is on the same level as Ubuntu 10.10 and Fedora 14.

It's not fair to compare "current" releases to "future" releases.

sammiev
April 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Hi unknownPoster, you do not sound terribly defensive lol. I will be back to check the site and I hope I can find some of your beta OS to see where you folks are going. I use a USB backup so to get back to where I was is only 30 mins away. GL :)

By who's definition is Firefox out of date?

Fedora isn't planning on including FF4 it until Fedora 16, which is 2 releases away.

Ubuntu does not have FF 4 in the standard repos, so I guess that means Ubuntu is also out of date. We currently provide the same version of FF as Ubuntu does.

The simple fact is that we include the most recent stable release of most software as possible.

The argument about Openoffice being out of date because people don't use it is invalid and subjective at best.

EDIT: I hope I don't sound terribly defensive, I'm just trying to clear up the issue.

fuduntu
April 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Good information, but in the wrong place. :D