PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer help

kdunn
April 5th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I currently have a ubuntu 10.10 desktop basically set-up as a print box. The printer I have is a HP Photosmart 2600 series and it works fine when used directly from the ubuntu desktop.

The problem I am having is my laptop is running windows 7 now and I just can't seem to work out how to connect to this printer through the ubuntu box. I have trolled through several guides to no avail. Can someone either supply me with a guide or link me to one that will work? Please know that I am a noob still at ubuntu but I'm learning.

To complicate this just slightly I also have a mac laptop and it would be nice if I could also print from it as well. I haven't been able to find any guides specifically for 10.10 and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance for the help.

pi3.1415926535...
April 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM
It would be helpful to know what the type of set-up is, and where in the process the problem is, for example, can your laptop find the printer but not connect to it?

jtarin
April 5th, 2011, 01:55 AM
See if this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339956) will give you some information to understand the process....then post back with any problems you encounter.

kdunn
April 5th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Sorry for being vague. The windows 7 laptop doesn't see ubuntu box. neither does the mac laptop which I though was odd. As far as basics the printer is set to be shared through the printing menu. So my main problem is getting all of them to see eachother.

Mark Phelps
April 5th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hate to say it, but the simplest solution may be to purchase a Print Server, hook the printer to that, and access is from all your machines over the network.

walt.smith1960
April 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hate to say it, but the simplest solution may be to purchase a Print Server, hook the printer to that, and access is from all your machines over the network.

I agree with Mark except that according to HP's web site, the HP Photsmart2600 is already network enabled. If that is the case, I'll bet you could plug a cable from your router to the printer, go to printing in System -> Administration -> Printing. Click on the "add" button and follow the prompts. I'll bet the printer is found and software is installed. I don't have that printer so I don't know if you have to select networking on the printer or if it sees a network connection and configures itself. It might help to go to synaptic and add the HPLIP package to help with printer administration.

Sef
April 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Could you describe the steps that you did in order to try and get your 10.10 to act as a print server?

Have you read Network Printing with Ubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu)?