PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem loading Ubuntu on Netbook

sarswimmer19
April 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Netbook facts
System: ASUS Eee PC 1000HA
Current Operating System: Windows XP
2 GB Ram

Here's the problem, XP wasn't working for me cause of an error caused by an error from the computer's antivirus. So while doing initial loading of drivers error occurs,
kmxstart.sys (driver stops load). So since i was already going to load Ubuntu i had someone download it to a thumbdrive for me and i tried to convert to Ubuntu now. But its unable to, I've changed the boot order, and also even disables the computers Hard drive to ensure it looks for the USB. but still no fix. When I do this i get the following error:
Pen Drive without operating system. Remove pen drive and reboot. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I dont have the XP restore disk with me right now due to the problems in Japan i'm away from my home for the last month or so. So i'm not able to load up windows Xp even in safe mode right now, will this keep me from getting Ubuntu installed onto my computer or is there another way i'm missing.

Any ideas? Please help if able. I'm new with Ubuntu.

Thank you in advance
Daniel

snowpine
April 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Daniel,

Here are detailed instructions for installing Ubuntu from a USB stick:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

It sounds like the pen drive your friend gave you was not properly prepared (have you tested it on another computer?) in which case I recommend trying again using the instructions above.