PDA

View Full Version : What is your experience with Geany or JEdit ???

hoboy
April 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
I want to start RubyOnRails, but I don't want to go Eclipse or Netbeans way, so I am looking for new IDE.
I have installed bought Geany and JEdit from ubuntu software center, but I am still struggling to understand what plugin are needed for these IDE, and how to install these plugins.

Tks

cgroza
April 3rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
I really like Geany I use it for all my python programming. It has a built in plugin manager where you can install some basic plugins. Check under the plugins menu.

Tried Jedit too but it was not for me at all.

hoboy
April 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
I really like Geanyw I use it for all my python programming. It has a built in plugin manager where you can install some basic plugins. Check under the plugins menu.

Tried Jedit toow but it was not for me at all.

I have installed Geany from ubuntu software center usually the ide, is this the appropriated place or shall I download it then installed.

Is there a way to configure Geany to get code completion ?

cgroza
April 3rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have installed Geany from ubuntu software center usually the ide, is this the appropriated place or shall I download it then installed.

Is there a way to configure Geany to get code completion ?

I think it does code completion only from the current opened documents. Never seen it doing it from a certain imported module.

ziekfiguur
April 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I think it does code completion only from the current opened documents. Never seen it doing it from a certain imported module.

Code completion is also supported for C, php, pascal and python standard libraries. Here (http://download.geany.org/contrib/tags/) you can find files that add support for LaTeX, Vala, css and some other C libraries among others, you can add support for those by placing the file in ~/.config/geany/tags

However, i don't think code completion for ruby is supported yet (except from within the currently opened documents)

Minimal Hank
April 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
I've been using Geany for a few years now and will do in the future, too - it's simple yet has everything I need.

nikhgupta
April 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
I am using Geany for Rails, PHP and a minimal Shell scripts development.. And, its definitely awesome..
I specially like the code-folding which is not available in gEdit (which is another of my favorite for its simplicity)

llanitedave
April 4th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I used Jedit years ago for playing with Javascript stuff on my Mac. I liked it at the time.

Currently, I'm using Geany, and I like it better. It's not quite as flexible, but it's simple and fast and has all the stuff I use.

hoboy
April 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM
It seemed like I am missing something, I can no install any plugin at all.
I have checked this site http://www.geany.org/Support/Plugins
and http://plugins.geany.org/
then follow http://plugins.geany.org/install.html for ubuntu.
what are the best plugin in your experience for java/ruby/python that Geany support and how do I install this plugin ?
sorry guys i am a bit lost here.
I am used to eclipse, netbeans, visual studio, and mono.
but as stated in the mail I want to extend my horizon with rubyon rails that is why I am looking for new ide.
tks

supergirlkara
April 6th, 2011, 05:09 AM
If you want to just program in Ruby then geany should be fine without plugins, just save the file as anything.rb for ruby code syntax highlighting. What kind of plugin are you trying to install? Obviously its something more than just syntax highlighting? I have been using Geany to code Perl for many years, and I would never use anything else.

hoboy
April 6th, 2011, 04:55 PM
If you want to just program in Ruby then geany should be fine without plugins, just save the file as anything.rb for ruby code syntax highlighting. What kind of plugin are you trying to install? Obviously its something more than just syntax highlighting? I have been using Geany to code Perl for many years, and I would never use anything else.

I am looking plugin that can make code completion posible.