PDA

View Full Version : Compiling libvorbis on amd64: -fPIC errors

markdavidoff
March 31st, 2011, 05:13 PM
I am trying to compile the latest audacity source code on amd64 ubuntu desktop 10.10, and I am running into a (probably simple) issue I don't know how to resolve.

I could just install libvorbis-dev, and the configure tool will use it (this results in a build success), but I want to be able to modify the vorbis library and see how it affects my vorbis files in audacity for research purposes.

make[5]: Entering directory `/home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src/libvorbis/lib'
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -O20 -ffast-math -D_REENTRANT -fsigned-char -DUSE_MEMORY_H -no-undefined -version-info 4:0:4 -o libvorbis.la -rpath /usr/local/lib mdct.lo smallft.lo block.lo envelope.lo window.lo lsp.lo lpc.lo analysis.lo synthesis.lo psy.lo info.lo floor1.lo floor0.lo res0.lo mapping0.lo registry.lo codebook.lo sharedbook.lo lookup.lo bitrate.lo -L../.. -logg -lm -L../.. -logg
gcc -shared .libs/mdct.o .libs/smallft.o .libs/block.o .libs/envelope.o .libs/window.o .libs/lsp.o .libs/lpc.o .libs/analysis.o .libs/synthesis.o .libs/psy.o .libs/info.o .libs/floor1.o .libs/floor0.o .libs/res0.o .libs/mapping0.o .libs/registry.o .libs/codebook.o .libs/sharedbook.o .libs/lookup.o .libs/bitrate.o -L/home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src -lm -logg -Wl,-soname -Wl,libvorbis.so.0 -o .libs/libvorbis.so.0.4.0
/usr/bin/ld: /home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src/libogg.a(bitwise.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src/libogg.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [libvorbis.la] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src/libvorbis/lib'

I can't seem to "recompile with -fPIC" maybe I'm doing something wrong...I just added -fPIC to the CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS environment variables, and that did nothing. I also tried running

gcc -shared -fPIC .libs/mdct.o .libs/smallft.o .libs/block.o .libs/envelope.o .libs/window.o .libs/lsp.o .libs/lpc.o .libs/analysis.o .libs/synthesis.o .libs/psy.o .libs/info.o .libs/floor1.o .libs/floor0.o .libs/res0.o .libs/mapping0.o .libs/registry.o .libs/codebook.o .libs/sharedbook.o .libs/lookup.o .libs/bitrate.o -L/home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src -lm -logg -Wl,-soname -Wl,libvorbis.so.0 -o .libs/libvorbis.so.0.4.0

but got the same result.

MadCow108
March 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM
you have to compile /home/mark/audacity/audacity-read-only/lib-src/libogg.a with -fPIC

markdavidoff
April 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
Lol...I was trying to recompile bitwise.o
Thanks