PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [JAVA] how do i get the user to input the value of a double? (very new to java)

Zeezj
March 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
:oops: i'm very new to java, and i can't seem to figure out how to have user input specify the value of a double. i've been trying to use System.in.read();,but when i type in the double (e.g. 3) it will use the ASCII value as the value of the variable instead of what i typed. how do i do this? help!!

here is what i am trying to use this for; it's a program designed to rate your self esteem by how awesome you think you are.

import java.io.*;

public class AwesomeTest {
public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {

System.out.println("on a scale of 1 to 10, how awesome are you?");
double Awesome = System.in.read();

//this next line is just to see if it uses the correct value
System.out.println(Awesome);

if ((Awesome < 6) && (Awesome > 1)) {
System.out.println("stop being so emo and get some self esteem. try for like, 6 or above, cause anything below five is just plain emo.");
}

if ((Awesome > 6) && (Awesome < 11)) {
System.out.println("that's pretty damn awesome. seriously, you should, like, go for the world record of awesomeness...");
}

if (Awesome > 11) {
System.out.println("yeah, nice try buddy. nobody is that awesome. i said on a scale of one to TEN!");
}

if (Awesome < 1) {
System.out.println("dude, you need a therapist...");
}

}
}

wolfgangmcq
March 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Perhaps

string AwesomeTxt = system.in.read();
int Awsome = AwsomeTxt.toInt();
A quick-&-dirty solution would be to subtract the ASCII value for 1, but that would cause problems if the user answered something completely batty.
However, the ubuntu forums do not seem like a good place to be asking questions about Java. Pehaps you should try your questions about Java on Java Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.java-forums.org/) instead.

ve4cib
March 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Provided you can read in a string then you can use Double.parseDouble(str) to conver the string to its equivalent double value. That may be the easiest solution.

GregBrannon
March 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Look at the Scanner method nextDouble().

I recommend that you ask your future programming questions in the Programming Talk subforum here on UF. There are many smart, helpful people who frequent that area.

Zeezj
March 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
thanks guys!!! the nextDouble(); thing worked. you all get popcorn

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: