PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Widescreen support vague

fskreuz
March 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hi to all! I'm new to the forums so please go easy on me.

I'm a windows to linux convert and found ubuntu to be a very friendly system to work with. So far i have been testing different distros and all of them are ubuntu based (linux mint, ubuntu puppy, xubuntu, ubuntu) but as I test them all out, i find something peculiar

I have a wide screen monitor and even the latest driver of s3 pro savage ddr does not even support wide screen on windows. i have tested ubuntu and xubuntu as well as linux mint, all of which dont have wide screen drivers. other forums and question sites say it might be unsupported by the hardware. but when it came to the ubuntu puppy, i found that it had wide screen support. how could this be? is there a generic driver for it? i am totally sure it's wide screen. the circles are circles and not ovals.

celldweller1591
March 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
What is the size of the monitor and what kind of resolution will be supported, making some changes with the Xorg.conf will help you out. i have a widescren 22" LED from Dell and i run 1900X1200 or 1600x900 resolution easily using my latest Nvidia drivers.

antaios256
March 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
i would check both the hardware of the monitor to see what resolutions are supported as there are many different wide screen resoultions, also i run a 17.3 laptop at 16.9 with the latest nvidia drivers

NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 260.19.44 Sun Feb 27 22:41:03 PST 2011
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu5)

and everything works fine.