PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution UI ridiculousness

cbmanica
March 21st, 2011, 04:47 PM
Ubuntu 10.04, Evolution 2.28.3, I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to click the open arrows in the right way to expand their contents, and have failed. After about 15 tries, I can get one level expanded, but then the next arrow below will invariably cause the contents to contract again. I would submit a bug report, but at this point it'll be faster to just install Thunderbird. Yes, I'm peeved, and I haven't even complained about how I have to delete ~/.evolution once a week to fix its inability to talk to my Exchange server ("Could not connect to Evolution Exchange backend process") ;-P

cbmanica
March 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Ok, so I lied, Thunderbird apparently has an inflated opinion of its ability to set up a mail account. Guess I get to use Outlook until some non-moron decides to write a Unix mail client. This is utterly ridiculous.

BbUiDgZ
March 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
I get to use Outlook until some non-moron decides to write a Unix mail client.
write one yourself if its that much of a hassle - I find evolution mail to be better than outlook, but then again its all just a matter of ones owns pref

asmoore82
March 21st, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ok, so I lied, Thunderbird apparently has an inflated opinion of its ability to set up a mail account. Guess I get to use Outlook until some non-moron decides to write a Unix mail client. This is utterly ridiculous.^You'll go far with that.

Don't be naive, Microsoft will always re-break compatibility with all
non-Outlook clients at their earliest convenience.

Maybe someday some non-moron will actually fix your incompatible server…
IMAP is well supported across a plethora of mail clients and servers :D.

Gavin Coles
March 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ubuntu 10.04, Evolution 2.28.3, I have spent the last 10 minutes trying to click the open arrows in the right way to expand their contents, and have failed. After about 15 tries, I can get one level expanded, but then the next arrow below will invariably cause the contents to contract again. I would submit a bug report, but at this point it'll be faster to just install Thunderbird. Yes, I'm peeved, and I haven't even complained about how I have to delete ~/.evolution once a week to fix its inability to talk to my Exchange server ("Could not connect to Evolution Exchange backend process") ;-P

Could you try updating to a newer version of Evolution and let us know if it works any better for you? As voiced by others MS do not want non-Outlook clients connecting seamlessly to Exchange, if they did why would you buy Outlook. How large is the company you work for, would they consider an alternative to Exchange?