PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't install Canonical packages

solutionorppt
March 21st, 2011, 04:46 AM
Just installed NBR 10.10 on an old Acer One Aspire after XP crapped the bed...

I can't get it to install the Canonical package - it asks me to insert the cd-rom whenever I press 'Add Volume' under "Software>Edit>Software sources", which is not physically possible for the obvious reason that I am using a netbook...

Can I just do this directly from terminal? It worked for the flash player installation when I ran "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree"...

Now I love me some Linux (my desktop has been in dual-boot for the last 2 years), but if we knew this was a netbook remix, why are we still looking for software in the one place no netbook has?

March 21st, 2011, 05:08 AM
Update Manager>Settings>Ubuntu software>uncheck the CD_ROM box

solutionorppt
March 21st, 2011, 05:55 AM
Update Manager>Settings>Ubuntu software>uncheck the CD_ROM boxI did this immediately upon installation.

ankspo71
March 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hi,
Clicking on 'Add Volume' in this case is has the same meaning as 'Add a CD'. I think this is why you are prompted to insert a CD.

What Canonical package are you referring to? Do you mean you want to enable the "Canonical Partners" repository? There should be a listing already there in your Software Sources list, but it is disabled. To enable them, simply add a checkmark in front of Canonical Partners by clicking on the little box (it might take a few seconds for it to apply), then click on the close button when you are done.

Hope this helps.