PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Copy path to clipboard.... grrrrr....

dewdrop_world
March 21st, 2011, 02:47 AM
In the "you have got to be kidding me" department...

I wanted to copy the full path to a folder onto the clipboard, and I didn't want to have to go to the terminal, cd ... then pwd because I had already located the folder in Nautilus (why should I have to repeat the folder navigation at the commandline?)

So I right-click on the folder. No option like "copy full path to clipboard." But there's Properties... hm, ok, I should be able to select and copy from there, right?

Nope. The path* does appear, but if I drag over it, the text is deselected immediately after I release the mouse button. :confused: ](*,)

So, something that should be easy has resulted in a bit of time wastage as I need to:

a/ ask how to do it more efficiently and
b/ complain about how hard it is.

* Actually it's not the path to the file -- it's the path to the parent folder. So even if I could copy/paste from here, I would also have to F2 Home Shift-End Ctrl-C Esc to get the file name on the clipboard.

No time at the moment to search for an existing feature request, but seriously, it's pretty crazy that I can't just copy the path so I can paste it in an e-mail. (Win7 does have a "copy path" command in the RMC menu...) I'll be happy to log the request later if it doesn't already exist.

(Is it really pointless to complain about this? I don't think so. It's these little things that make an OS a pleasure to use, instead of merely usable.)

asmoore82
March 21st, 2011, 02:53 AM
Control+L, Control+C

It's easy to get caught up in the method, but you never mention the goal.
In other words, where do you need to paste?

Dark_Stang
March 21st, 2011, 02:53 AM
Just right click/copy the path bar at the top...?

dewdrop_world
March 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM
Control+L, Control+C

It's easy to get caught up in the method, but you never mention the goal.
In other words, where do you need to paste?

Into an email.

Ctrl-L is better. I overlooked Go > Location... as it didn't seem immediately relevant, but now I see how that works.

It's still the path of the containing folder... if I want to clipboard the full path of a file, it's a two-step process (copy/paste folder path, then copy/paste filename).

dewdrop_world
March 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM
Just right click/copy the path bar at the top...?

That's ambiguous -- "copy" may mean, copy this folder object onto the clipboard so I can paste the folder into another folder, or it might mean copy the path. After trying it, I see that it means copy the path, but my point stands: In most file browsers (osx, windows and gnome), right-click on a file or folder --> copy means prepare to copy the file to another place. If in the path bar it means copy the path as text, then the RMC menu should explain that.

asmoore82
March 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
I can right-click and copy the file itself, and then paste into Gedit.
I'm not sure if this works all over, or if it is because I'm using parcellite (http://parcellite.sourceforge.net).