PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Keyboard shortcut for moving window to another virtual desktop

ApocryphalAuthor
March 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hey all,

In (Gnome) Ubuntu there is a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+(Up|Down|Left|Right) that allows the user to quickly move a window from one workspace to another. I've been looking for a similar way to accomplish this in (KDE) Kubuntu. I know that you can right-click on a window in the Task Manager and use "To Desktop" to move a window, but I'm just curious if the same thing can be accomplished with the keyboard.

Thanks for your help!

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I neither use KDE nor do I have it installed, so I don't know its built-in features. But if you are using Compiz (desktop effects), you can use its "Put" plugin to achieve that:
- "... -> CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management -> Put"
- enable it, if not already
- choose your desired key combination under the "Put to adjacent viewport" option

Greetings.

ApocryphalAuthor
March 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I neither use KDE nor do I have it installed, so I don't know its built-in features. But if you are using Compiz (desktop effects), you can use its "Put" plugin to achieve that:
- "... -> CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management -> Put"
- enable it, if not already
- choose your desired key combination under the "Put to adjacent viewport" option

Greetings.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I was aware that I could use Compiz window manager, but right now I'm just trying to familiarize myself with KDE and kwin, so I was really trying to find out if I could accomplish this in kwin.

On a side note to anyone interested. I found out that you can take the icon of a window in the task manager and drag it onto the icon of the virtual desktop, that window will move the window to that virtual desktop.

It's a start, but I'm still interested in a keyboard shortcut if anyone knows one.

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
How about this?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts#Window_management

And those settings?:
"System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts -> KDE component: KWin"

ApocryphalAuthor
March 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hey thanks for your help!

I did find it. In Kubuntu 10.10 it's under:

K-menu->System Setting->Shortcuts and Gestures->Global Keyboard Shortcuts
Then, in the KDE component drop-down, select KWin
Lastly, the action is Window One Desktop Down, Window One Desktop to the Left, Window One Desktop to the Right, and Window One Desktop Up

Thanks again for your help. I'm still getting used to the KDE UI. :shock: