PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wireless printing through cell phone hot-spot?

MoebusNet
March 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I access the Internet exclusively through my Verizon-branded HTC Incredible cell phone using my Dell Latitude D800 notebook. I have a Samsung 2152-w wireless laser printer that works well through USB and works well through a wireless router.

My question is: since I use my cell as a wireless hot-spot for my notebook, is there any way to use the wireless capability of my printer? I don't know of any way to configure this, and Google hasn't been of help yet. If possible, I would like to avoid using the wireless router; I used it when I had a wired network for my old desktop.

I welcome suggestions.

bfmetcalf
March 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I actually do this on my home laptop. My phone is an adhoc wireless network. I connect the computer and printer to the adhoc and have no problem. Even if I turn the phone off, computer and printer stay connected and allow printing. What kind of network does your phone use for the hotspot?

pricetech
March 17th, 2011, 10:21 PM
If I'm reading right;

You should be able to connect your wireless printer to your hotspot the same way you would any other hotspot.

MoebusNet
March 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM
My printer isn't showing up in Network Manager. I've just been selecting "HTC Network" from the Network Manager menu to connect to the Internet. So I basically need to try to do this through ad-hoc networking?

bfmetcalf
March 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I believe most android phones automatically do an adhoc network. Did you tell the printer what network to connect to?

MoebusNet
March 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Hmmm, it's been a while (a year maybe) since I played with the wireless side of the printer. I haven't tried looking for the notebook or the phone from the printer; it only has a 2-line display. Maybe I can try looking for the IP address of the printer through my browser. Thanks for the suggestion!

bfmetcalf
March 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
With my new HP printer I have to tell it what network to connect to. Once the printer is set to a network it defaults to that network in my case. You will probably have to tell the printer to connect to your HTC Network to get it to print through that network.

MoebusNet
March 23rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
I guess I'll mark this as solved, even though I haven't got it working. My cell phone tethers wirelessly only in WPA2 mode. My wireless printer is only capable of WEP.

I suppose my 2 choices are: 1) root the phone and lose warranty coverage, or 2) buy another printer that is WPA2-capable. Neither option is appealing at the moment.