PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Windows XP Im done

ade234uk
March 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I am self employed. I was crossing between Windows XP and Ubuntu up to do my work until a month ago when my wireless adaptor had niggly problems in Windows XP. It would work for a few minutes and even though it was connected to the wireless adaptor stop sending and receiving packets. For the life of me I don't know why because it has worked fine in Ubuntu for months without ONE single issue.

This morning I thought that If I reinstall Windows it would solve the problem. Windows was pretty bashed up anyway. Started at 5:30am. After 40 minutes Windows XP was installed. So I installed the driver for the wireless adaptor, connected the USB wireless adaptor as per the onscreen instructions and Windows XP detected my Wireless.

Great I thought, we have lift off. I went to Google to download Firefox. 4% in to the download the wireless adaptor fails on me AGAIN.

At this point I swore at Windows XP and just booted back in to Ubuntu. Sod that I thought wasting another hour installing software, anti virus, spyware remover and firewall and all the other crap. I just can't be bothered these days.

Since I cant afford a new wireless adaptor at this moment in time, seriously, I will just remain using Ubuntu. It least this bloody works.

Also the only reason why I went back to Windows XP is because the people I do my work for are moaning at me. I always appear offline to them even though I can chat to them using Empathy. If you have a solution that would be great?

But for the time being again Windows XP is switched OFF. I Know Windows XP is old, but still its a pain in the **** just to get everything installed. Windows XP also feels alien to me, after everything in Ubuntu is such a breeze.

LowSky
March 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
try pidgin instead of empathy

sudo apt-get install pidgin
I think its a better chat relay program

ade234uk
March 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have also used Pidgin as well and had the same issues. I have just installed amsn from the software centre.

I'm waiting for the big bosses to come online and then I will ask them if they can see me.

Shmantiv_Radio
March 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
It would work for a few minutes and even though it was connected to the wireless adaptor stop sending and receiving packets.

Ubuntu has exactly this problem with the RTL8192e driver with versions 10.04/10.10/11.04 (so far).

I'm having to use a patched version of ndiswrapper to get anything approaching stable WIFI on Ubuntu.

HermanAB
March 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
A WinXP virtual machine works fine though since it is insulated from the actual hardware by the virtualizer and can easily be restored from a tar ball when it screws up.

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Windows XP is old.

Spice Weasel
March 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Windows 2000 > XP, and 2000 is older than XP. Old doesn't equal bad.

Seriously. Windows 2K. Best operating system Microsoft has ever made.

pwnst*r
March 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM
XP is fine. Sounds like your hardware sucks.

cchhrriiss121212
March 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
XP is fine. Sounds like your hardware sucks.
Given that it works on another OS, the hardware is not at fault. But neither is XP, it is probably just a poor driver. Sometimes the ones included on discs are crappy, try googling around for a newer version.

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Windows 2000 is old and irrelevant. ;)

RiceMonster
March 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Someone hasn't used Windows 7.

coolbrook
March 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
My XP installation isn't even detected any more. I'll be installing Win 7 Pro 64 soon. My new hardware deserves it anyway.

sydbat
March 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Windows 2000 is old and irrelevant. ;)No U...:p

To the OP, as HermanAB pointed out, try installing WinXP in a virtual machine. I like VMWare better than Virtualbox, but test both to find which one you prefer.

kevdog
March 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Why don't you just buy new wireless hardware?? A quick trip to the store and quick install -- would seem the most feasible and economic solution here.

Spice Weasel
March 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Windows 2000 is old and irrelevant. ;)

How dare you say such words?

Someone hasn't used Windows 7.

I've always felt that the "server" editions of Windows are much better than the desktop versions.

Besides, Windows 7 is so mainstream.

disabledaccount
March 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
How dare you say such words?
You should face the facts: win2000 is very old system, not supported anymore - it is history. However I can agree that 10 years ago it was superior to win XP, which was so crappy, unsecure and unstable, that many peples just escaped to W2K (win XP started to behave similarily to operating system after release of SP2)

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I've always felt that the "server" editions of Windows are much better than the desktop versions.
That seriously depends on your needs. I don't think 2000 even came with directx, did it?

You should face the facts: win2000 is very old system, not supported anymore - it is history. However I can agree that 10 years ago it was superior to win XP, which was so crappy, unsecure and unstable, that many peples just escaped to W2K (win XP started to behave similarily to operating system after release of SP2)

Even though I know that XP is a dinosaur, I think that XP became better than 2000 in its time.

marl30
March 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM
That seriously depends on your needs. I don't think 2000 even came with directx, did it?

Even though I know that XP is a dinosaur, I think that XP became better than 2000 in its time.

Windows 2000 SP4 has DirectX 8.1. You can also install DirectX 9 from custom MSN update.

LowSky
March 16th, 2011, 08:42 PM
can we stop talking about 10 year old operating systems.

Aquix
March 16th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone that haven't used nLite or vLite for their windows installs don't know what windows is capable of.

I've made gaming riggs for people installing 105Mb nLited Xp, and the things could fly.

walt.smith1960
March 16th, 2011, 09:30 PM
can we stop talking about 10 year old operating systems. You mean Windows XP? Win2K came out in 1999, WinXP in 2001. I've heard WinXP characterized as Win2K in a pretty skirt.:smile: Spice Weasel's sentiment has been pretty common prior to Win7 among those to whom substance>>style. Verizon's mail server was running Win2K server until the last year or so.

Spice Weasel
March 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM
can we stop talking about 10 year old operating systems.

No.

MarcusW
March 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Is it MSN you're using empathy for? If it is, I recommend using emesene instead.