PDA

View Full Version : Facebook abandoned

jennybrew
March 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Has anyone else had problems with Facebook stalkers?
Ive closed my account because of being hounded by someone unpleasant. I can only imagine he kept making new profiles as he popped up under all sorts of names.
Not a major problem ..I hope he has lost track of me now ..just interested in whether other folks have had problems of this sort?

inobe
March 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
i lasted a day with a faceplant account, until folks starting hounding me, i didn't know much about it at first, i didn't realize how open i was, mostly i didn't think a majority of others there were looking for dates, love and other ways of communicating, even the spam, everything about it was nagging.

i can't stand those type of social sites, i am not anti social, just anti nag.

i disabled the account and never looked back.

family and friends just call me, or we meet up on skype.

rg4w
March 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I've never had much of a problem, but likely because I don't use it much and keep on top of the ever-changing privacy settings.

Just be glad you didn't post your birthday invitation there:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/15/2011-03-15_teen_forced_to_cancel_sweet_16_party_after_face book_invite_goes_viral_200000_rsv.html?r=news

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I've abandoned mine as well, I don't think I'll be going to such a big social site any time soon.

LowSky
March 15th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Still have mine. I kinda need it. I have a great deal of friends and family who live all over the country and we communitcate with it daily.

mmsmc
March 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM
i dont like facebook, its too easy to hack someones account, you need the slightest bit of info about them and there account is done

Muffinabus
March 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I don't see what the problem is if you restrict all access to your information to your friends and don't accept requests from people you don't trust or don't know.

I don't use it all too much though, every so often I'll post a picture or video of my cats and dog, but that's about it.

NCLI
March 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Just make sure to tweak the privacy settings to your liking and you'll be fine.

Kdar
March 16th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I have one but with fake name for internet use only. :)

Lucradia
March 16th, 2011, 01:14 AM
i dont like facebook, its too easy to hack someones account, you need the slightest bit of info about them and there account is done

You mean like when hackers got into Zucker's account?

johntaylor1887
March 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I abandoned facebook after 5min. But I keep an account there because it makes it easy to sign in to some websites, and saves me the hassle of creating an account.

Lucradia
March 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I abandoned facebook after 5min. But I keep an account there because it makes it easy to sign in to some websites, and saves me the hassle of creating an account.

I might have to do that someday too. Give no name, a fake one, fake address, everything fake.

johntaylor1887
March 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Give no name, a fake one, fake address, everything fake.

That's what I did. ;) It really makes it easy to sign in to websites instead of having to create an account for each one.

Lucradia
March 16th, 2011, 01:37 AM
That's what I did. ;) It really makes it easy to sign in to websites instead of having to create an account for each one.

Some sites need you to create one anyway, such as phonedog or phonearena; not that their registration forms work.

Jesus_Valdez
March 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I have two, actually.

One for my fake internet persona. I have been used a fake name for the internet since like 10 years ago, so having one under that name was like a must for my "internet friends".

The other with my real name for my family, I check the privacy settings every now and then to secure I'm on the highest level.

I don't care if someone find my real name, tough, I just don't want them looking at my family pictures or stuff like that.

Eiji Takanaka
March 16th, 2011, 03:28 AM
p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }h2 { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }h2.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif",serif; }a:link { } Antifacebookestablishmentarianism........;)

Heres a little anti - Facebook speech i prepared earlier for all those people who love Facebook a little too much....

Facebook is like some evil virus that spreads through its users. Symptoms include but are not limited to:

1) Severe bouts of Egomania - Believing that people actually give a **** about what you ate for lunch and what colour top you are currently wearing.

2) Shallow Superficialness - Being friends with a ridiculous number... of people, most of which you never liked but added anyways,in a desperate bid to appear more popular. Which brings us cunningly onto point 3...

3)The belief that having more friends makes you somehow more socially appealing. - This is bull-**** to the maximum, if you have 1,000 "friends" how the f*ck can you maintain that many friendships? It's abnormal.....

4)Sheepyness/Indifference. - People who use facebook are usually like a chicken korma, not too mild but not too spicy. Basically they follow what other people say because again they want to "fit-in" and appear "cool". If having 10 friends makes me "uncool" on facebook, then quite frankly thankyou but **** off you shallow bastard... ^Go back to pt2. Do not pass Go...Do not collect $200.

5)Lack of opinion/quick to change opinion/lack of backbone - People seem to adjust their views to suit the occasion, this is typical of everyone though to be fair to an extent, yet it is more prevalent in the wonderful domain of facebook.

The conclusion?

Facebook implements/encourages a certain shallowness which is revealed in our drive through generation. A lack of caring (psychopathy). An on demand sort of vibe as in oh i dont feel like responding i'll do it later e.t.c....
Basically it seems to bring out various negative traits such as manipulation, lack of empathy and compassion, and other negative personality disorders that sadly seem to be becoming more and more prevalent in todays society. Why? Well perhaps it is because when talking through a computer, it could be perceived that the other person "isn't really there", and thus does not warrant the attention that someone who perhaps in the same room would warrant. For example if someone said hello to you in the street, unless a) You were a mother f*cker or b) You didn't particualry like the person, you would say hello back...facebook is like people walking down the street, one person saying hello..and then 5 hours later when that person is back home and snuggly playing on some computer game, they get a "hello" back. It is making people more shallow in general, and thus my prognosis determines that facebook is evil and must henceforth be shut down.

And so i call upon those with the strength to fight the good fight, leave the land of facebook , you are better off without its filthy adulterous ways...

Do not be a slave to facebook any longer...shatter the shackles of checking your inbox....break the chains of picture commenting, Turn from the evil that is in built java games....and take instead the route to salvation, the route of shutting down your facebook account and becoming once again a decent caring human being...

To all those who have been facefooked you have my deepest sympathies...

On a final note.....

You may call me rude, you may even call me anti-social, but in a society that is seemingly rapidly going down the toilet, is that really such a bad thing to be? Time to Un-learn dudes/dudettes. ;)

A Facebook analogy by a very bored dude. =)

sudoer541
March 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
For those who are looking for a better alternative, check out Diaspora https://joindiaspora.com/:)
Diaspora is open source and is very secure.
Too bad though is still on alpha stage. :(

Khakilang
March 16th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I only use Facebook to keep in contact with friends who is staying in different country. No stalker yet.

coolbrook
March 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Enable max privacy. Block the user. Consider a new ID number.
I never use my real pic as my profile pic, but I make my photos available to my contacts. I have virtually no friends on Facebook. I turned it into familybook a couple of years ago.

pi3.1415926535...
March 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I do not have a Facebook account, and I intend to keep it that way. I did not even really know much about it before all of the privacy concerns. The only one strange thing is when most people I know are using Facebook.

Linye
March 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
You all talk like you got something to hide.

Lucradia
March 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
You all talk like you got something to hide.

Is Linye your real name?

Zlatan
March 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Google has more to offer than FB and it even has an email;)

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have never had any problems on facebook, I am generally a private person though so no one has bothered to attack me. ;)

HermanAB
March 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
You should have left the old account active as a honeypot and made a new one for the real you.

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2011, 12:51 PM
You can choose to block anyone you want. You can block apps, and set your settings to not email you for anything. You can also set your settings to use https for security instead of the default http. It's not hard to "unfriend" someone, either.

There's no reason you have to keep being harassed when you can just change some settings.

Is Linye your real name?

nice one.

malspa
March 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Is Linye your real name?

Had to laugh at that one!

I lasted about 6 months on Facebook before I finally deleted my account. Don't miss it at all.

ChipOManiac
March 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Frankly I'm starting to get sick of it... I wont de-activate though, there's a lot of people I keep in touch with... I just restrict that urge to go online and check my account these days... :D :D :D

Caboose885
March 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM
For everyone that still has a Facebook and is concerned about their privacy (Privacy and Facebook are kinda an oxymoron. ;) ) There is a tool called SaveFace (http://www.untangle.com/Products/SaveFace) which automatically sets up your privacy settings for you.

Its made by Untangle which is a reputable company. I've worked with them before and I can honestly say that they aren't trying to jack your information or anything crazy.

~Caboose

pwnst*r
March 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Sorry, not near that easy.

Is Linye your real name?

Bahahahaha

Breambutt
March 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I have less than 20 friends on Fecespoop, no info, everything blocked, I don't use it for anything and only registered so that some technological delinquent "friends" could invite me to "parties" because apparently they can't use the phone, IRC, e-mail or even ring the doorbell. So, no.

I'd also be terrified using that malware-infested piece of script-kiddie bloat in Windows.

Facebook - connecting people with nothing in common.

rg4w
March 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM
For everyone that still has a Facebook and is concerned about their privacy (Privacy and Facebook are kinda an oxymoron. ;) ) There is a tool called SaveFace (http://www.untangle.com/Products/SaveFace) which automatically sets up your privacy settings for you.
That looks like a great idea, but if it requires one to activate FB applications then that would seem a bigger problem in itself, since the security-minded FB user will leave apps disabled.

Caboose885
March 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
That looks like a great idea, but if it requires one to activate FB applications then that would seem a bigger problem in itself, since the security-minded FB user will leave apps disabled.

Actually it doesn't need an application status/permission. Its a javascript

rg4w
March 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Actually it doesn't need an application status/permission. Its a javascript
Nice. Thanks for the clarification.

rg4w
March 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Here's an interesting project, a distributed alternative to FB which leaves you in complete control of your content:
https://joindiaspora.com/

sydbat
March 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Here's an interesting project, a distributed alternative to FB which leaves you in complete control of your content:
https://joindiaspora.com/Where, in this thread, have I heard that before...?

Oh ya:

For those who are looking for a better alternative, check out Diaspora https://joindiaspora.com/:)
Diaspora is open source and is very secure.
Too bad though is still on alpha stage. :(

Swagman
March 16th, 2011, 04:28 PM
FB is permanently open on this machine. I've never had a problem (Bang goes the neighbourhood) and only occasionally get "join my Castle Age" Army requests.

rg4w
March 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Where, in this thread, have I heard that before...?

Oh ya:
Sorry for the repost; I scanned the earlier posts but apparently missed that one. GMTA. :)

Still, it's such a great project that IMO a redundant post isn't the worst thing in the world in case others missed the earlier link as well.

I hope it takes off. It's a tremendously powerful concept.

Caboose885
March 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I signed up for Diaspora but they still haven't contacted me. I signed up about 3 months ago...I've played with the source code and built my own node but I would like to be able to connect to real people. :P

~Caboose

inobe
March 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I signed up for Diaspora but they still haven't contacted me. I signed up about 3 months ago...I've played with the source code and built my own node but I would like to be able to connect to real people. :P

~Caboose

connecting to real people you can actually see, and if your in the next Caboose, your missed messages will be there when you get back :p

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home

M4570D0N
March 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Has anyone else had problems with Facebook stalkers?
Ive closed my account because of being hounded by someone unpleasant. I can only imagine he kept making new profiles as he popped up under all sorts of names.
Not a major problem ..I hope he has lost track of me now ..just interested in whether other folks have had problems of this sort?

Are you hot? If so, there's your problem. Quit it.

ankspo71
March 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hi,
2 of my friends accounts at facebook were compromised within the last couple of months. The people doing it are posting messages while pretending to be my friends. I'm only using facebook because my friends are still there, but the site is too complicated for me to navigate to get any good use out of it.

Linye
March 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Is Linye your real name?

I'm I talking like I got something to hide?

jennybrew
March 16th, 2011, 11:11 PM
The problem, IMHO, is with some of the people rather than the security of the site.
I wouldnt have used things such as Bebo or MySpace but, for whatever reason, I thought Facebook was different.
Some people like to bully or harass others and I seem to have attracted one of them. Its a bad experience as in my case he was claiming to be watching me and stating a whole range of unsettling things.
When I blocked him up he popped with another username / account and usually claiming to be people I knew from school. How he got their names I dont know.
A very unsettling experience but one which taught me a lot about social networks and to leave them well alone :)
I wouldnt use Facebook again anyhow.