PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can someone help here, im ready to give up !!!

aknolidge
March 14th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Hey guys just installed Ubuntu 10.10 for the first time. I'm about to throw the towel in and give up on it, before that i want to check if someone here can help me.

My first step was of course setting up all the updates.
Next, change the annoying resolution because its so big.
I went to system>preference> monitor...It wont detect it, it says unknown.
So i figure, I'll go system>administration> additional driver...and all i get is no proprietary drivers are in use for this system...Can someone help please :(

oboedad55
March 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Please provide some more info like, what video card you have, 64 or 32 bit system etc. and did you install 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu? You'll find things here pretty friendly and helpful. Just give us a little more to go on.

aknolidge
March 14th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Hey guys just installed Ubuntu 10.10 for the first time. I'm about to throw the towel in and give up on it, before that i want to check if someone here can help me.

So i figure, I'll go system>administration> additional driver...and all i get is no proprietary drivers are in use for this system...Can someone help please :sad:

I have an Intel core i7-950
12gb ddr3
msi gtx560 ti video card
asus 27" monitor 1920x1080 resolution

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10557706)

aknolidge
March 14th, 2011, 06:01 AM

So i figure, I'll go system>administration> additional driver...and all i get is no proprietary drivers are in use for this system...Can someone help please :sad:

I have an Intel core i7-950
12gb ddr3
msi gtx560 ti video card

aknolidge
March 14th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Please provide some more info like, what video card you have, 64 or 32 bit system etc. and did you install 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu? You'll find things here pretty friendly and helpful. Just give us a little more to go on.

sorry i forgot, i downloaded the 64-bit architect

Intel core i7-950
msi gtx 560 ti
12gb ddr3

sidzen
March 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM
see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681040

What onboard graphics does your mobo have? You may want to consider using it, instead, if new drivers still not available.

sidzen
March 14th, 2011, 06:34 AM
see your original post!

Bucky Ball
March 14th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I'd try 10.04 LTS and see if it makes a difference. You can run it off the install CD with an ethernet cable plugged in. See if that offers you the correct driver.

The ATI driver (or wireless for that matter) won't install at all with the latest 10.10 kernel for me. I am using an older one (2.6.35-24). It's the only one that seems to work.

Bucky Ball
March 14th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Duplicate posting is against forum rules. I have asked the mods to merge your two posts. As above, see your original.

PS: Please use descriptive thread titles in future describing your 'issues'. You will get more hits and help that way. ;)

cariboo
March 14th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Please don't create multiple threads on the same subject, I have merged your three threads.

grahammechanical
March 14th, 2011, 02:22 PM
The Additional Drivers utility may have said:

no proprietary drivers are in use for this system

because you have not have not activated any proprietary drivers. This is not done automatically because some Linux users have ethical reasons for not using proprietary software. They are not forced to do so and others are not prevented for using them if they wish.

The question is this: Were there any drivers offered as something to be activated with your agreement? If not then your issue is with the maker of the graphic card or monitor. They provide drivers for Windows do they not? So, why have they not provided a driver for Linux?

Regards.