PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need a password to log-in?

alexis44
March 11th, 2011, 04:34 AM
You may direct me to another thread if you have to, but that's my basic question. When I start my computer, I have it set up for no password and just start. For better security, do you think it's advisable to have a password to start, or does it make a difference? Thanks in advance. :D

zenwalker
March 11th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Is it a networked (on LAN) PC or is it a shared PC among other people at your premises or Do you leave the computer on and go away for a while? In that case password is necessary.

alexis44
March 11th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I'm the only one who uses my computer. I'll have to admit that you guys are very quick in dealing with spam. :)

williejones
March 11th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I use a login password on my computers. However. passwords can
be bypassed by someone who knows how if they have access to
your computer.

lisati
March 11th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I'll have to admit that you guys are very quick in dealing with spam. :)
We deal with it as soon as we notice. :D

zenwalker
March 11th, 2011, 04:58 AM
your computer.

Yes atleast it takes some geek to do that hack (via CD boot and resetting the password). But lets say 80% are not geeks around us :D

zenwalker
March 11th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I'm the only one who uses my computer. I'll have to admit that you guys are very quick in dealing with spam. :)

But do you often leave ur computer on and leave the house/room for a long/while? In any case, just have a passowrd may be simple if not complex!

Yes when we know the burglars are around us, we are pretty alert ;)

alexis44
March 11th, 2011, 05:00 AM
your computer.
So, if someone doesn't know my password in the Real World, I have nothing to worry about? No problems from the virus or rootkit guys or girls? :D

zenwalker
March 11th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Dont use your computer just like kids do Or dont use as root account. Nor grab every thing u see off net and install!

alexis44
March 11th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Dont use your computer just like kids do Or dont use as root account. Nor grab every thing u see off net and install!
I don't install anything since I can't. I may download a picture, video or music file, although. Is there a problem there?