PDA

View Full Version : How long is a piece of string?

t0p
March 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
If I were to make a bow (as in "arrow", not "curtsy"), using a stave 1 meter long, how long a bowstring ought I to use?

forrestcupp
March 8th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Measure the length of the bow from the grooves, not the tips (along the curve). Subtract 4 inches for a standard Flemish-style string, or subtract 3 inches for a high performance string.

Randicus
March 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Forgive me for correcting your English, but the singular is staff and the plural is staves.
As for the question, it is a trick question. The answer is you would not use a string, because a staff is a long stick, so it could not be used as a bow.
If, on the off chance it is not a trick question; if the bow is a yard long, then the string would be about two feet, because it must pull the bow into an arc.

tgalati4
March 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Someone was asleep during bow-making class.

rg4w
March 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
You'll probably get very helpful answers from people who've made a lot of their own bows in the forums at survival.com. Lots of DIYers there, from bow making to knife making, trapping, flint knapping, fire starters, and a wide range of other outdoors sporting and survival techniques. IMO the best community for such knowledge.

FoxEWolf
March 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
At first I was thinking you were talking about code. I have no idea how long a bow string should be.

t0p
March 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks to all who responded, even if only to correct my use of the English language. (That really hurt, BTW - not the correction, but the fact that I'd made such a mistake in the first place! I'm an English teacher, goddammit! And English is my first language! How the heck have I become an illiterate native tongue English teacher?! I deserve a good hard spanking (please! :p)

You'll probably get very helpful answers from people who've made a lot of their own bows in the forums at survival.com. Lots of DIYers there, from bow making to knife making, trapping, flint knapping, fire starters, and a wide range of other outdoors sporting and survival techniques. IMO the best community for such knowledge.

You're right, of course. But I was logged into Ubuntuforums.org when the question arose, and I was feeling far too lazy to use Google etc (says a guy who has the temerity to have a link in his sig to an article on how to find stuff on the internet!). What can I say? Even I am fallible.

If anyone is in the slightest bit interest, I have decided to make the bowstring 3.5" shorter than the bow. If that fails to fell hairy mammoths, I will have to reassess. Trial and error is a wonderful thing (so long as it's a hairy mammoth I'm trying to bag for lunch and not a sabre-toothed tiger who's got me cornered in my cave).

koenn
March 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM
and the follow-up question:

how long is a piece of string theory ?