PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC hijacked my places menu

steve7777777
March 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10. After applying upgrades tonight VLC hijacked my PLACES menu. When I click on

Places->Home Folder
or
Places-> Desktop

VLC is invoked and tries to open these areas (without success!)

This seemed to be an old bug from 2008.
Bookmarks and shortcuts on the desktop work.

Any idea what's going on?

prshah
March 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
VLC hijacked my PLACES menu. When I click on Places->Home Folder or Places-> Desktop
VLC is invoked and tries to open these areas

to 'Places - any folder' it opens in a videoplayer.

This is a known bug. Open "Computer" from the Places location, (or just run nautilus from the Alt+F2 "command" box). Now, navigate to your home directory, then right click any directory within it, and choose "Open With"-"Open with other application"; in the box that pops up, choose "File Browser".

From now on, it will open correctly.

Here's another way you can try; System-Preferences-File Management. If you can't find that option, press Alt+F2, and run
nautilus-file-management-properties

Then click the Behaviour tab, and select the option "Always open in browser windows", then click Close.

Now perform the earlier method again, and see if it "sticks"

If that doesn't work as well, right click any directory in your home directory, then choose Properties-Open With-File Browser-Close. If the "File Browser" option is not there, click on Add and locate "File Browser". If you still cannot find the option, at the bottom of the "Add Application" window, click on "Use a custom command" and give the command as
nautilus.

mrhhug
March 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM
im suprised! VLC has never been anything but a workhorse for me.

ok, i stole this command

gedit ~/.gtk-bookmarks
from this ubuntu archives
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=623275

so please type "gedit ~/.gtk-bookmarks" in a terminal and this should be the output of your places menu. post response here.

steve7777777
March 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks I will try it tonight and post. VLC has been a workhorse - very nice program and IMO the best for video under Ubuntu.

steve7777777
March 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Here's another way you can try; System-Preferences-File Management. If you can't find that option, press Alt+F2, and run
nautilus-file-management-propertiesThen click the Behaviour tab, and select the option "Always open in browser windows", then click Close.

This worked! Thanks for the help.

beacon
April 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
I think my problem is much the same. When I click on places>home I get shotwell and nothing else. When I click on places>computer it only has external devices. According to a very good book I have on Ubuntu, I should be able to access nautilus by going to places> home, but I can't. And I am not able to follow the advice given by Steve, as there is no option 'open in browser window' under behaviour.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

plucky
April 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM
I think my problem is much the same. When I click on places>home I get shotwell and nothing else. When I click on places>computer it only has external devices. According to a very good book I have on Ubuntu, I should be able to access nautilus by going to places> home, but I can't. And I am not able to follow the advice given by Steve, as there is no option 'open in browser window' under behaviour.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Alt + F2 and type in "nautilus" without the quotes, in the window that opens.

Good Luck

beacon
April 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks very much plucky for the quick reply. Unfortunately I had tried that several times, as I did the other suggestions in the thread. Nothing worked. I think there was something else going wrong, so I have just re-installed and so far things are going well.

keroman
April 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I looked all over to find a solution to this, found one here

http://www.etdsonline.com/tutorials/ubuntu/415-items-on-places-menu-opens-vlc.html

hope it helps

beacon
April 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Many thanks Keroman. I think that would have been just the job, but I had already re-installed and that resolved the problem. I have made a note of your suggestion, however, as I think it might be useful in future.

Regards