PDA

View Full Version : Getting PSD file into GIMP

dhysk
March 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Ok I have a PSD file saved from corel draw from a friend however gimp wont open it. Is there a way to convert it to the older psd format?

BcRich
March 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
hi
gwenview can also open psd files and save them out as different formats more compatible with the gimp, but you might still loose some newer features saved in the photoshop format when attempting to open a psd file in anything other than an installation of photoshop matching the same version number that the file you are attempting to open, was saved with.

jcolyn
March 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
What do you mean by the older .psd file?

I've got a number of .psd files from years back and they all open in Gimp. Some of these files were made in Paint Shop Pro, Corel, PhotoShop (as far back as PS 5), and several other Windows based imaging software.

Are you sure these files have not been damaged?

BcRich
March 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM
What do you mean by the older .psd file?

I didn't say anything about "the older .psd file?" so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.
Nonetheless, the older the psd file the more likely it will be able to open without degradation (to the photoshop specific features, layer preservation, selection channels, layer mask etc) in a current version of software that opens psd files such as a current version of the GIMP.
It's really the newer photoshop files particularly one's that are newer than version 7+ that you will more than likely encounter problems with when trying to open the newer version photoshop file in an application that does not support the matching version of photoshop that the file was made with, but does support the format (i.e "older" versions of the psd format).

Are you sure these files have not been damaged?
that is also possibility.
have you tried opening the file in anything other than the GIMP?
What error message (if any) do you get?
Is it possible to attempt to reopen the file on the computer that it was made on, and save it in another format such as xcf or psp?
perhaps if the image is made up mostly of paths (as corel draw is a vector illustration package primarily) you could save those paths in svg format and open them in inkscape, you can then rasterize and export them into a GIMP compatible format.

jcolyn
March 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I didn't say anything about "the older .psd file?" so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

I was referring to the OP's comment.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Right, and he's saying he wanted to roll it back to the format associated with an older version of Photoshop, like 6, that GIMP could open, which it sounds like gwenview might do.