View Full Version : Complaint of Unwarrented Thread Closure

alphaamanitin
March 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hello,

I would like to complain at the closure of this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1701813

Under this statement by uRock:

"Re: Does tor keep logs?
If I were an exit node, then I would be logging everything.

We do not support illegal activities here on Ubuntu Forums.

Thread Closed."

I did not create a thread, but if you read it it only concerns if tor is keeping logs that can violate the purpose of tor. Yes, people use tor for illegal activities. But plenty of people use tor for perfectly legal activities.

The person in question made no mention of using tor for illegal activities and only mentioned the police searching tor servers. What if the person is asking because (s)he, or some one (s)he wants to suggest tor to is in a country were police violate your rights and grab computer and the like?

If mere mention of a program that can be used for illegal activities is enough to close a thread that I think many of the security threads should be closed.

AlphaA

Joeb454
March 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Having looked through the thread, I have re-opened it.

Do keep in mind the note uRock posted, however, as any mention of illegal activity will likely result in a thread closure.

alphaamanitin
March 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thank you. I understand the limit of legallity and I assure you that I, though I don't know about the OP, simply thought we could have a discussion about the likelihood of TOR keeping records that could compromise the purpose of TOR-anonymous internet browsing through things like National Firewalls, ISPs recording your browsing sessions and the like.

I assure you that I at least will not discuss illegal activities on this thread or on Ubuntu Forums in general.

Again,

Thank you.

AlphaA

alphaamanitin
March 10th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Can we move the thread in my first post? As I stated my last post in that thread, I think it is not appropriate to be in the Security section and would be better placed some where else.

Thanks,

AlphaA

bodhi.zazen
March 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Can we move the thread in my first post? As I stated my last post in that thread, I think it is not appropriate to be in the Security section and would be better placed some where else.

Thanks,

AlphaA

I believe the security section is the most appropriate location for the thread in question.

Please provide some justification for your request, where would you move the thread to and why is that destination more appropriate then the security section ?

alphaamanitin
March 10th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I just felt that it was going beyond the topic of Ubuntu security and maybe into more of just a general discussion on the realities involved in the attacks tor is susceptible to. I figured since it was not directly related to Ubuntu maybe something like the community cafe would be a better place for it.

If you feel it does belong there, than that is fine. I just didn't want the thread to be some where it shouldn't as that tends to lead to cluttered forums.

AlphaA

alphaamanitin
March 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Sorry for double post but you can't edit in here I guess. I missed the reasoning why it would be better suited in Community Cafe. Well, as I said I thought it may be getting off topic of security and more into feasiblitiy and that we were running a fine line in politics. I thought removing it from the support section seemed more the thing to do as it was not really a support topic any more. However, as I said in the last post, you know more about what belongs there than I do.

AlphaA