PDA

View Full Version : [Proxy Resolution Request] Banned User: nicholasraad83

teward
March 7th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Staff / Admins / Council Members:

I would like to submit this resolution request from a banned user who is a friend of mine. Having said this, I am not the user in question who was banned, so if I get banned for posting their resolution request as a proxy between you and the user, I will take this to the Forums Council and argue my getting banned as an abuse of power.

Now for the specifics.

Below is the message received by my friend:

Dear nicholasraad83,

You have received a new private message at Ubuntu Forums from Iowan, entitled "You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Dear nicholasraad83,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Spammed Advertisements
-------
Please do not spam the forums. For more information, please see the forum policy: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy. If you believe this was made in error, please post in the Resolution Center, which you can find in the previous link.
Nicholas - Silverado Hosting Solutions
Free Hosting For All www.silveradohost.net
-------

This infraction is worth 15 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

The following is what he specifically did:
He put a link into his signature for the free hosting company he owns. Note that he was unable to access the Terms of Use prior to his ban, due to internet issues. He was unaware of the policies against this, and was outright banned (and thus cannot post to the resolution center). Further, he has only made a SINGLE post, so the use of the reason of "Spamming" is at fault (according to their argument), as they did not post more than once, and the link was in their signature (which as such does not constitute "spamming", but rather constitutes a small mistake on their part).'

Actions taken against the user:
According to my friend, they are banned and cannot access (a) their private messages to see the aforementioned received PM, and (b) cannot access the resolution center (which is why I'm posting this for them).

Please address this, and get back to me ASAP, as this issue is of high importance to them. Please also note that the user in question is willing to REMOVE that link from their signature, assuming that they can have access to their UCP restored so they can change that part of their settings.

------
TrekCaptainUSA

teward
March 7th, 2011, 04:41 AM
ADDENDUM:

Per the banned user's request, they would also like to have a quote from the specific part of the terms of use in which they were violating.

Joeb454
March 7th, 2011, 10:31 AM
The part of the policy (taken from the link in the infraction message) that was violated, was the following:

Spam (unsolicited advertising): Spam will be moved to Spamalot in the forum Jail and the account posting it will likely be banned. You are allowed to have links to personal sites in your signature and in your profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of the site linked does not include material that violates this code of conduct and if you are not posting any other form of advertising.

I highlighted the relevant part in this case.

On this occasion, I have reversed the infraction.

teward
March 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I will let him know. Thank you for your time in this matter.u