PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noise Gate

Gannin
March 6th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I'm trying to use the LADSPA SWH Gate plugin to remove soft breath noises from an audio recording, but it's not working very well for me.

It'll cut out chunks of the much louder spoken audio, while leaving the much quieter breath noises intact. I mean breath noises that are so quiet, they don't even show up on the wave form.

I know you can manually go in and drop silence onto each spot if you want to, but I saw the noise gate method work wonderfully in GarageBand so I'd like to use it here too, but I'm just not getting any results.

I'm using both Audacity and Ardour.

Can anyone lend some ideas?

ajgreeny
March 6th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Have you tried the noise removal plugin in audacity? It is very good at getting rid of low level background noise.

Select an area of the breath noise with nothing else, use that to get noise profile, then select whole track and effect->noise removal again. It will depend on how much noise there is, of course, but I have found it very good in most situations where I have used it.

Gannin
March 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I have tried it before, but it often leaves the remaining audio sounding slightly garbly when listened on on headphones. At least that's been my experience. I appreciate the feedback though.