{
card x(suits[counter2], counter);
cards.push_back( x );
counter++;
}
counter2++;
}

}

Attached is the relevant portion of my code, it works fine with the first suit but doesn't move on everything after 0-12 of 'd' is just 0. I'd appreciate very much any help, I just don't see what's wrong.

lisati
March 6th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Hint: when you've finished with the 13 cards in one suit, you need to reset your counter to start at the beginning for the next suit.

chris200x9
March 6th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Hint: when you've finished with the 13 cards in one suit, you need to reset your counter to start at the beginning for the next suit.

mother effer! I knew it was something REALLY stupid! I have a bad habit of overlooking the simplest things :P. Thank you so much though!

lisati
March 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Sometimes it's the simplest things that catch us out.

cgroza
March 6th, 2011, 03:26 AM
May I ask what kind of container are you using? My bet is a vector, but a stack would work much better.

chris200x9
March 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
May I ask what kind of container are you using? My bet is a vector, but a stack would work much better.

a vector, why would a stack be better?

cgroza
March 6th, 2011, 08:45 PM
a vector, why would a stack be better?
Well, a deck of cards is basically a "stack", if you don't need to shuffle the deck during the game and just top pick a card from the top or put it back, it is way easier.

chris200x9
March 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Well, a deck of cards is basically a "stack", if you don't need to shuffle the deck during the game and just top pick a card from the top or put it back, it is way easier.

how would it be much easier? All you do is return the last element of the array then pop it off then take theVector.back() and pop that off and repeat. I don't see how a stack would be much, if at all, easier. i.e

card deck::pop_off()
{
card mycard = cards.back();
cards.pop_back();
return mycard;
}

cgroza
March 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM
A stack is specially built for this, so I think you would get more speed also.

forrestcupp
March 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
How much speed do you really need to set up a deck of cards and shuffle them?

I don't really see the point in using a stack or a vector for this. I always just use a simple array because you know you're going to have 52 cards and there's really not much benefit in having the overhead.

cgroza
March 7th, 2011, 08:55 PM
How much speed do you really need to set up a deck of cards and shuffle them?

I don't really see the point in using a stack or a vector for this. I always just use a simple array because you know you're going to have 52 cards and there's really not much benefit in having the overhead.

I would consider that too low level, you would have to manage adding a card back to deck and taking it from deck, when with a stack a simple pop and push will do it.

TheBuzzSaw
March 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/stack/

The STL stack does not even have a custom implementation. It just narrows the interface on an existing container. There is nothing to be gained by using a stack specifically.

cgroza
March 7th, 2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/stack/

The STL stack does not even have a custom implementation. It just narrows the interface on an existing container. There is nothing to be gained by using a stack specifically.
Just realized it, you can give it a vector as a template argument and it will use that as a item keeper.

forrestcupp
March 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I would consider that too low level, you would have to manage adding a card back to deck and taking it from deck, when with a stack a simple pop and push will do it.

Just realized it, you can give it a vector as a template argument and it will use that as a item keeper.

But you can do that with a plain vector. What's the benefit in using a vector inside a stack? That ends up being more complicated than just doing it yourself with an array.

cgroza
March 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
But you can do that with a plain vector. What's the benefit in using a vector inside a stack? That ends up being more complicated than just doing it yourself with an array.
It prevents bugs a little, imagine some messed up iterator that is used to read the end of the vector, but instead it reads from the middle.

forrestcupp
March 8th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Maybe I'll look into that more sometime when I have a need.

Now that I think of it, I think a deque would be the best option. You can add or remove cards from either end. That would make it easier to pull one off the top and put it back on the bottom of the deck if you need to.