PDA

View Full Version : Assembly

amiller2571
March 6th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I'm currently in a assembly class for Windows. The teacher is having us write directly to video memory on cmd. The reason is that he wants us to learn to printer characters to the screen the hard way. In order to do this we have to put cmd into real mode, other wise we could not access the memory. My question is how would I go about doing this in Linux? I would like to learn how to write directly to the terminal's memory.

Queue29
March 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Huh? I'm no expert in Windows, but I'm pretty sure there are quite a few layers of abstraction between the cmd and writing to memory... What exactly is it you are doing?

cgroza
March 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I'm currently in a assembly class for Windows. The teacher is having us write directly to video memory on cmd. The reason is that he wants us to learn to printer characters to the screen the hard way. In order to do this we have to put cmd into real mode, other wise we could not access the memory. My question is how would I go about doing this in Linux? I would like to learn how to write directly to the terminal's memory.
Do you need to open stdout in assembly and push characters there??

amiller2571
March 6th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I am new to assembly so I don't know the correct terms to use, Here is one of the programs I wrote for the class.

MyStack SEGMENT STACK

DW 256 DUP (?)

ENDS

;----------------------------------------------------------------------
MyData SEGMENT

CRTMemSeg EQU 0B800h ; Segment for video RAM
ESCKEY EQU 27

ENDS
MyCode SEGMENT
ASSUME CS:MyCode, DS:MyData
StartHere:

MOV AX, MyData
MOV DS, AX

MOV AX, CRTMemSeg ; Move video segment address into AX
MOV ES, AX ; Move AX into ES so that ES points to video segment

MOV CX, 2000 ; Moves 2000 into CX, use to loop throw the video segment
MOV BX, 0 ; Move 0 into BX

ClearScreenLoop: ; loop to fill as video segment spaces with black background and blank text

MOV ES:[BX+1], BYTE PTR 00001111b ; set video memory to black background
MOV ES:[BX], BYTE PTR 00000000b ; set video memory to blank text
ADD BX, 2 ; advance BX by 2, to point to the next video segment space
loop ClearScreenLoop ; if CX is not 0, repeat

MOV AX, 0 ; clears AX for next loop

MyLoop:

MOV AH, 12h ;Get shift status
INT 16h ;Makes system call
AND AX, 0000100000000000b ;check if right alt key is down
CMP AX, 0 ;
JE ShowSpace ;if so jump to ShowSpace
MOV ES:[542], BYTE PTR 'X' ;if not display 'X'
MOV ES:[543], BYTE PTR 00100100b
JMP BottomLoop ; jump to bottom of loop

ShowSpace: ; if right alt key is down, display B

MOV ES:[542], BYTE PTR 'B'
MOV ES:[543], BYTE PTR 01000010b

BottomLoop: ; check if the esc key has be pressed
; if so exit the program
MOV AH, 11h ; else jump to the top of the loop
INT 16h

JZ MyLoop
MOV AH, 10h
INT 16h
CMP AL, ESCC
JNE MyLoop

MOV AH, 4Ch
INT 21h

ENDS

END StartHere

As you can see in the program I write either X or B to the video segment for the console. I would like to be able to do this with the Linux terminal. How would you write to the screen segment with out using system calls/interrupts?

ceclauson
March 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Interesting question, because it's one that I tried to figure out a while ago.

The short answer, as best as I could figure out, is that it's more complicated on Linux. I don't think user mode programs have access to that low a level of the system like they used to in DOS. There might be a way to do it by writing a custom device driver, though, not sure.

Just to clarify what I'm talking about: old school DOS systems allowed user programs to either communicate through the kernel, communicate with the BIOS, or talk to the hardware directly. The latter two are what I don't you can do on Linux with user programs, but again, there's probably a solution that involves writing a device driver.

Zugzwang
March 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
@OP: What you want cannot be done in Linux *nor* in Windows. However, for a DOS program, Windows' emulation layer will behave as if it could be done. In Linux, there's no such thing as an automatic emulation layer, so I suppose that you execute your program in a DosBOX, which should do the trick.